Slamfires

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
big steve

Slamfires

Post by big steve »

What all can cause them?
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

fire pin stickin fp ext sticking, is the hammer resetting?
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
big steve

Post by big steve »

Yes the hammer is resetting.How do you stop them from sticking? Yes they are lubed well with breakfree.
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Most slam fires are caused by either the firing pin being to heavy or the firing pin spring not being stiff enough, not cause the hammer isn’t resetting or the pin sticking :roll:

Some commercial primers are weak and can be subject to slam fires, milsurp primers are usually hard.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

whose bolt set up are you using :?:

i know one of them uses two different sized washers on the firing pin to support the ejector. If its inserted back-wards when assembled it will bind on the ejector and slam fire when the bolt carrier goes forward against the bolt-head.

could it be miss assembled :?:
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
panaceabeachbum
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by panaceabeachbum »

Another problem I have seen is not relieving the buffer retaining bolt for the amount of protrusion of firing pin from rear of bolt, will/can cause firing pin to jam/stick forward
big steve

Post by big steve »

It's Pirates bolt stuff and the large washer is forward, closest to the FP with the spring against it. I'm betting on the spring not being strong enough. I cut too much off the original springs and have gone to a spring that feels even stronger but I need to make sure. I am still getting pretty deep primer strikes on south african 308. Not so deep that it pushes the primer back or anything but deeper than they have to be. When I first shot it, the extension was too long from the small washer to the FP witch kept the FP from retracting enough into the bolt head. I trimmed it until with the rollers out and the bolt mechanism fully compressed it is recessed back in the hole about .030 in. Is this enough? And yes I milled about a 1/4 in relief in the buffer screw. I will check to see if this enough though, Thanks P-bum
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Another area to look at is your grip stick....

If the hammer/trigger pin holes are over sized, there may be enough space/slop for the hammer to skip over/bounce out of its engagement with the sear. If the holes were drilled with standard sized bits - be careful and the originals were/are metric.

I spent hours thinking a slam fire problem I had was related to the FP/bolt when it was really related to the grip stick.

Another issue can be using standard sized pin stock instead of Metric - you can get the same slop. I think some of the 'kits' solkd on this board at one time were coming with pins undersized.

Check you grip stick before you spend too much time beating yourself up looking in the bolt/FP.
Smooth is Fast
big steve

Post by big steve »

After lots of trips to the range I think I found my problem. The firing pin hole is drilled crooked in my bolt head causing the pin to bind up in the locking wedge. I mean its way off! When I stand the bolt head up on the table and put the pin in it cants a half a hole to the left at the back of the pin. And binds when you slide the wedge over it. And before you ask yes the hole in the wedge is straight and yes the pin is straight. It's a yugo bolt head. I'm calling Dan monday for a new one and think that will fix it. (I HOPE) I just thought I would put this on in case anyone else runs in to this.
Big Steve