front sight ?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
1919gunner

front sight ?

Post by 1919gunner »

Ok here's the $65,000 guestion. When mounting my front sight and booster lock tab I know there is a spring detent to keep it in place. My question is my reciever has an open hole in the top where the sight slot is. What do the spring detents rest against? Am I missing a part? Pictures would be appreciated. :thanks:
Jason

'

Post by Jason »

I'll try to explain w/o pics
the detent (bar) and detent pc. ( thing with 2 holes) get pined in the front hole.

the front sight and the rear hole of the detent pc. (end with the notch) get pinned in the rear hole. before you pin the sight in there is a small spring that you must place under the detent (bar) and on top of the detent pc. then you can run the rear pin in the sight and detent pc.
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

:WTF: uhhh ok :roll:
Jason

'

Post by Jason »

please dont make me take it apart and take a picture :shock:
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

this is something i was trying to figure out [(O)] if I get time tommorow I will see if the tech manual has a breakdown
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Jason

'

Post by Jason »

ok, I'll do it tommrow if no one else chimes in.
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

Sorry man I'm a visual person. I don't never learnt nuthin from readin it. I gots ta see it to understand it the right way. At least I'm not the only one wondering this. GTS
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

brother :!: GTS
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

See if this sketch helps. It's pretty much a bitch to assemble and you don't want to have to take it apart once you get it all together.

Front cross pin goes thru front hole in receiver side, thru flash hider retainer hole (1), thru front hole in part #3 - be sure to put spring in hole of part #(3) before attempting assy.

Rear cross pin goes thru aft hole in receiver side , thru front sight hole (6), then thru aft hole in part #(3) - be sure to put spring and detent pin in hole of front sight before installing cross pin.

Assy sequence.
1) install front cross pin and associated components first.
2) assembly detent and spring in hole of front sight. Turn receiver over so that top ov receiver is resting on table. Lift front of receiver slightly and slide front sight assy into position over part #3 sugh that front sight assy is pressed between part #3 and the table top. Get your finger in slot in receiver and press down against part #3 (you will be compressing the front sight detent spring) such that you can align the holes for the crosss pin. Use drift to help align the parts then slide in cross pin. Drink a couple of beers cause you've just completed a bitch of an assembly.
Attachments
front assy.jpg
front assy.jpg (104.18 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

wow your scribble is much nicer than mine :)

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

Ahh yes now I see. I am missing part 3. (note) call Dan order part 3.
Jason

'

Post by Jason »

thanks otis, I really didnt want to take mine apart again and my drawing skills are worse than Tom's :lol:
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

My sketching skills are not much to write home about but glad to help out fellow enthuasists. I understand about not wanting to disassemble - once you get these together you really don't want to ever have to remove and reassemble unless you have to.
KATZBALGER
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by KATZBALGER »

Don't forget your eyes.
These springs have enough force to take one out.
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

Rotated the picture so I wouldn't have to been my neck. :lol:

Steve
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

Thanks - that's better. Wasn't thinking very well this morning when I posted it - was on first cup on coffee - then ran out of time.