Please help me find a legit builder

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Bigdibbs88
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Please help me find a legit builder

Post by Bigdibbs88 »

Hi Gents-

I would really appreciate your help here. I have for 5 years now been in the process (yes I have not seen my kit in 5 years!!!) of having my 42 built. To put a long story short, the second builder I’ve attempted to use, who has dragged me along since June on a project that should have taken a month or less, has finally admitted he has no intention of building my gun at any point in the foreseeable future and has simply been sitting on my downpayment. To make matters worse the gun is actually less finished than when I sent it to him if you can believe that. I’m beyond frustrated and exasperated with the lack of moral fiber. I mostly collect german rifles so am not plugged in to the MG builder community and after being screwed again have nobody else to turn to. I do not have the necessary metal working skills to build it myself.

At this point I have a completed semi-only bolt and trigger grouping, and just need the back half of the receiver welded to the front and rails installed.

I would be so grateful if anyone could please recommend to me a builder who does good work and more importantly is just a decent human being. I know people are busy and am willing to compensate you for taking time out of your life to help me. I simply ask that you do what you say (aka build my gun in a reasonable amount of time!)

Thank you for any help
Rob
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Please help me find a legit builder

Post by JBaum »

The limiting factor is how many people are licensed to build the gun. Most builders are home do-it-yourself types. Building a gun for someone else, even if it's just building (welding together) the receiver, requires a license. Most people with the necessary skills don't have an FFL manufacturer's license, and the ones who do know how much trouble a semi can be to make an get it running, and they can make money easier doing something else.

Keep looking, you may find someone, but I don't know anyone that can do it is looking for more work.

Guys??? Help the guy out if you know someone.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

The short answer is Jared Lewman https://lewmanarmsmanufacturing.com/

The long answer: I seriously doubt all that needs to be done is one weld and rails. Is it deslagged? Is the recuperator installed? Properly? Assuming that the rear receiver was several sections and rewelded, was it done right? Semi auto bolt block installed?

Unless this is a single saw cut kit being restored as a full auto, it's not that simple- it takes many hours to restore a MG42, and more to do it as a semi. And even more to fix what some other "gunsmith" screwed up. So be prepared. But do it anyway- it's worth it.
FNG
Bigdibbs88
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by Bigdibbs88 »

Abominog wrote:The short answer is Jared Lewman https://lewmanarmsmanufacturing.com/

The long answer: I seriously doubt all that needs to be done is one weld and rails. Is it deslagged? Is the recuperator installed? Properly? Assuming that the rear receiver was several sections and rewelded, was it done right? Semi auto bolt block installed?

Unless this is a single saw cut kit being restored as a full auto, it's not that simple- it takes many hours to restore a MG42, and more to do it as a semi. And even more to fix what some other "gunsmith" screwed up. So be prepared. But do it anyway- it's worth it.
Hi Abominog.....the front half of the gun is done minus some welds being ground down. Recuperator installed. The back half it depends which way you go.....with new made rear halves i would think they just need to be welded on. The original back half would be a different story.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will contact him!
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

If I understand correctly, you don't have the rear of the receiver?

Rear receiver shells don't just get "welded on". They have to be properly sized/ trimmed, welded in a manner that acommodates weld shrinkage, and then machined. That's a lot of work. Even BRP's full receiver, which requires an FFL, still has a lot of work to be done before functional: riveting, milling, and IIRC welding as well.
FNG
Bigdibbs88
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by Bigdibbs88 »

Abominog wrote:If I understand correctly, you don't have the rear of the receiver?

Rear receiver shells don't just get "welded on". They have to be properly sized/ trimmed, welded in a manner that acommodates weld shrinkage, and then machined. That's a lot of work. Even BRP's full receiver, which requires an FFL, still has a lot of work to be done before functional: riveting, milling, and IIRC welding as well.
I do have the original rear half, it was repaired but had some warp issues. Since then it was cut off with a saw cut because the second guy wanted to use the shells. Well since he decided now he just doesn’t feel like doing my project, I can go either way.

I think you are under the impression I think no work is involved, which I am not. I am realistic. 5 years of work? 8 months of work? I don’t think either of those is the case though
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

Yeah ~there's pretty extensive work needed to build one of these guns. The rear section of the receiver is considered to be the firearm ~ each mfg seems to be a little different. Not only the rails need to be straight ~the correct overall length~the denial island~ect.
Could you post some pics of what you have? then maybe we could get You a little more info.
Waffen
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

And remember-unless your original pieces are totally screwed, a good builder can usually fix it. Remember that they are just stamped steel..look at what can be done at auto body shops,metal is metal.The trick to both is getting the right builder... ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Lots of good information.....and then some that is guessing based on hours vs. self-labor.

Realistically, if you "guestimate" the number of hours to make a "one-of" rear receiver...…..and then fit it to a "one-of" front half......you are going to come up with more than ten hours of work.
The reason that I say this is that you have to locate a "gunsmith"/"builder" that is familiar with the MG42, the laws that govern building of an SA42...…..and that welds. This is not an everyday build for people...…...and just because people on this forum (or others) have built SA42s in the past (or present)…..it is basically a "labor-of-love" so to speak.

These builders are using an excess amount of their time to insure that things "line-up"....are correctly measured......and are correctly welded...…..and then the big word after everything is measured/fitted/welded/machined/re-measured/re-fitted/re-welded......is the troubleshooting to get it to run correctly.
Then......the owners expects it to run like a fine machine with all type of ammo in the world......and this is usually an issue as we have seen in the past with even "store-bought" SA42s, and even registered MG42s...……"and" one of the major reasons why people do not like to build other people's SA42s.

I believe that your best bet may be to ask around and see what "companies" still build SA42s for individuals from the individual's parts kits...….and ask prices and time. Bob Naess up in use to do SA42 builds but unknown if still doing it. WiseLite seems to come to mind during their earlier years...…(?).
Once you know prices...….you might advertise for a builder at "X" amount of $$$$…..and see if you get any bites....?? Another option is to sell what you have (and you probably have a lot in the parts now)…..and then buy an already built SA42 (?).
It just seems that many guys come onto these boards thinking that they can buy a parts-kit at a "good-price"....and then find someone to build it for next to nothing...….but please keep trying, and let us know how things progress. We are here to help when and where we can.

Last.....photos of what you have to work with will help......and should be required by you new builder to be able to let you know costs.

Regards,
RichardS
US Army, RET
Blanksguy2001@outlook.com
Buying registered MG42s, and partially built SA42s (photos/price required).
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

It would be MUCH easier to rebuild the original sections you have vs making the shells work.
Also bear in mind semi 42s are kind of a nightmare to get running correctly. Thats why most folks only work the FA ones.
Glenn
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

flemgunner wrote:It would be MUCH easier to rebuild the original sections you have vs making the shells work.
Also bear in mind semi 42s are kind of a nightmare to get running correctly. Thats why most folks only work the FA ones.
Glenn
Believe the above. He knows from first hand experience.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Getting the original pieces back together and working is something that has been stated by a lot of folks. That said finding the original pieces is getting harder and harder for German MG42's. Now there are m53'2 that keep showing up and they can also be rebuilt. But we have also found that sometimes the original parts are missing or have problems and then the shells are needed. In my case as stated by folks that have done Far more than I have putting the originals back together always seems like it works better that the other way.

Also flemgunner are you back to doing builds?

Later 42rocker
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Na man I only do work for drivetanks.com now.
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Finding original rear sections for either MG42 or M53 is difficult and expensive. Better to buy a complete kit.

As a purist I’d hate to see incorrect rear and front sections mated. Plus many people bought the MG3 sections to put with 42 and 53 fronts which is both like mixing Chevy and Ford parts and makes the restoration more difficult. Parts kit buyers should be wary and knowledgeable to avoid this.
FNG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

It's nice to still have a few German rear receivers sets.

Later 42rocker
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Chuck42 »

We would be up for building one as long as its not completely screwed. We are a class 7 ffl 2 sot BlackbushArmory. We do a lot of ak and ar builds do saiga conversions and gunsmith work, but have built a semi auto mg that was badly demilled torched four times missing a 1/4" in some spots especially in the buffer area right through the 1943 MG42 dfb markings. The rivets had been cut out with a chop saw which took a lot of extra time trying to fix the rivet dimples. The front shroud was bent throwing the front sight off at an angle. Got it built and it works and looks pretty good for how bad it was destroyed. I would prefer not to build another kit that bad. A lot of weld cleanup. An Mg build can be like a walk around the lake or a 10 day hike up a mountain depending on the condition of the kit. Also the owner of the semiauto mg has to have basic knowledge of Mg cleaning and maintenance which is linked to most of the malfunctioning problems. Some of these yugo kits with nice cuts would be pretty easy builds. The price of the build all depends on the kit and how much time we would have in it and what parts are provided.
Jaredrlewman
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by Jaredrlewman »

Without reading the posts, I build them. I am PICKY though, extremely picky as to what I will work with. If you havent already contacted me, feel free to do so.
Tmiller
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Tmiller »

Jared Lewman is the one I go to and would recommend. He takes the time to talk things out with you and has a personality. He has on of mine now and I have full confidence in him to get it working.