M53 receiver stampings don't reach cut barrel shroud.

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Sw1ngK1ng
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

M53 receiver stampings don't reach cut barrel shroud.

Post by Sw1ngK1ng »

I just got in my second m53 kit and noticed very quickly that where it was torch cut is at least a full inch further forward than my last one. The BRP stampings I used last time don't reach this far forward. I could fabricate an extension piece but I would much prefer not to. I could also buy one of the crushed midsections and bend the part I need back into shape. I do remember some time over the past year or two seeing someone selling a receiver extension that makes up the difference however I cannot remember who sold them. Dose anyone here know where I might find one?

My kit is from Sargesmilitarysurplus, the fact that it came with a barrel was very appealing as well as some of the features are slightly different from my last one. Also I couldn't find many places that had any.
Sw1ngK1ng
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Re: M53 receiver stampings don't reach cut barrel shroud.

Post by Sw1ngK1ng »

My new barrel shroud compared to the one on my last build.
Attachments
3BD3EB14-3B54-4B28-ABEE-64B5F707A973.jpeg
robertmcw
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by robertmcw »

Looks the dregs are hitting the market. You can get a second shroud on GB and scrap the one you have but they are getting pretty pricey. Or I have a shroud I got from Dan at Angola Armory before he passed away. If you are interested I will send you a couple photos and I think I can beat the GB price. The touch just barely hits the bumps for the camming piece and the bushing is ready to be installed. I did cut the shroud where the original weld for about 4 inches length the long way to get the old bushing out but it is ready to be re-welded and I can include a new made bushing as well. Let me know.

Robert
Sw1ngK1ng
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Sw1ngK1ng »

Thank you for the offer but I am trying to keep costs on this build down and time is not an issue, this build is just to take up any free time I have left over after work and school. I know I can make an extension piece if I absolutely have to but Im just trying to find some easier solutions that don't include a new shroud. I took a good look at the stock picture for the crushed mid sections on robertsrtg and it looks like I can cut off what I need and it would not require too much bending to get back into shape.

What did you mean by "dregs"? This kit seems to be an older demill, plus it came with the original barrel that was not demilled.
robertmcw
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by robertmcw »

Meaning if the shroud is too short and the kits are drying up.
I am sure the rest is OK.
shooter42
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by shooter42 »

Try out Global Machine & Tool they are making the receiver halves as well but extend a little farther forward than the BRP ones. He lists them on GB but you can also give his business a call. Depends on if if you're not wanting to fabricate the difference.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Posting a few photos of the Global-Machine receiver-halves so you can see how far they will extend.......let us know if you believe that they are long enough for what you need.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, RET
Attachments
MG42-Global-Machine-Receiver-Halves.jpg
MG42-Global-Machine-Receiver-Halves-1.jpg
MG42-Global-Machine-Receiver-Halves-2.jpg
MG42-Global-Machine-Receiver-Halves-3.jpg
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

There have been several different cuts from different time periods. Short cuts were the norm for several years then centerfire got in a load of receivers that had longer cuts. One of time periods of the shorter cut was about 10 to 15 years ago. For a time period there was a piece being sold as a filler piece to make up the difference. I think at one I had around 11 to 12 of those pieces. Sometime after I get these computer problems fixed I'll try to take a pic or two and posted to show whats up on this.

Later 42rocker