Grip stick FCG not working

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Trooperjoe
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Grip stick FCG not working

Post by Trooperjoe »

Hi Guys,

I have a problem. My AR 15 fcg is not working in this grip. It will cock, and release but the disconnector is not working as it should. If I hold down the trigger, the disconnector will grab the hammer but when I release the trigger the hammer flys forward, and the main sier does not grab the hammer to keep it from firing like it should.

I install this FCG in a ar lower and no problems there.

I don't know who made this grip because I got it off a guy who gave up on this build years ago.
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
mtnlvr
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Re: Grip stick FCG not working

Post by mtnlvr »

Did you figure out what's going on yet?

If not, is the FCG brand new? With your gripstick out and starting with the hammer forward and finger off the trigger, slowly move the hammer back and watch the two surfaces indicated in the pic as they pass each other. Do they touch or is there a gap? The gap is supposed to be something like .001" to .003". For reference, a standard piece of paper is about .004" thick.
Capture.JPG
Trooperjoe
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by Trooperjoe »

Sorry for the three year late reply but... I put this project away and worked on other stuff. It been a display piece only - sadly.

I took another look at it, made a few small adjustments, and took it to the range. Got it to work for two shots then the sear wore a groove in the hammer shelf... so I could fire it and kept the trigger pulled, and then fire it again by releasing the trigger... the FCG is done and its My fault.

The long and short is that I think this gripstick is crap and what I read on other postings I am not alone. Maybe someone out there got this version to work for them but I can't figure it out and don't want to waste my time trying to make it work. (its sad that a $200+ part doesn't work right out of the box)

My recommendation - if you have this version where the FCG does NOT work the second you put a factor FCG in it... stop and buy another updated version. :puk:
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Do a search and find the distances between the holes and double check the hole distance. If that is correct buy another ar15 fcg, main parts only, you don't need a full fcg. Try it out or swap out the fcg with another one. I've had interesting ar15 fcg sets before. Also almost all of them have had to have the top of the hammer adjusted to allow the bolt to slide over better.
Good Luck

Later 42rocker
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

IMHO for any restoration, when using semi replacement parts/ assemblies plan on hand fitting. Especially the TNW MG34 semi parts.

It's not just the aftermarket semi stuff. The factory original MG34 and MG42 exhibit significant tolerance variation. I've had to match bolts to recievers on the MG34, and won't you know, my 34 Lafette is just enough out of spec (factory spec, not damaged) that both a reweld semi and a dummy receiver won't fit. AND, now I try to put a BPR PJ flashhider latch on a CRA MG42, and it's too wide.

PLAN on reworking any semi stuff you buy.
FNG
Trooperjoe
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by Trooperjoe »

The picture doesn’t show it but I already trimmed the hammer which took care of the clearance issues. I can place a round in the chamber and it fires so the hammer is hitting correctly.

As for the FCG, it works great if I stick it in a Ar lower. So the grip stick is pin holes are off somehow I think. I don’t know who made it because I got all the parts from a guy who gave up on his build. I need to toss the old FCG and start over and double check the clearance again.

After that, I move on to the feeding problem.

I have any other question but I think I will start a new post.

Thanks Guys