Charging handle issues

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Ratiasu
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Charging handle issues

Post by Ratiasu »

On a fair in Belgium a few days ago I picked up a slab sided charging handle. I tried installing it, but because the hook which goes behind the bolt carrier is about twice as thick as the normal charging handle's, it gets stuck near the pistol grip. Is this normal?

Also, I have been having a lot of bad luck with my charging handles in general. I have two normal charging handles, and both have issues of their own. Ones bar is bent (faulty production it seems), and makes cocking extremely hard the closer you pull it towards the buttstock. I removed some metal to straighten it up so at least it works, but not as it should, and I'm looking at replacing it ASAP.

The second normal cocking handle has issues with the clamp (the one which keeps the handle from being pulled off the receiver when cocking). Apparently it's loose enough the allow the charging handle to move forward past the point it is supposed to stop when you dryfire the MG, causing slight damage to the metal on the outside of the receiver every time I do. Needless to say, I immediately took the part out.

My bad luck with charging handles makes me wonder if issues like this are common. Are they?
Ratiasu
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Re: Charging handle issues

Post by Ratiasu »

Furthermore, does anybody know how to recognize whether or not a slab sided cocking handle is repro?
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Re: Charging handle issues

Post by anjongni »

http://aassniper98.com/en/mg-42/4366-le ... mg-42.html
levier-d-armement-1-modele-mg-42.jpg
levier-d-armement-1-modele-mg-42.jpg (8.41 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
This is the replacement handle made by AAS in France. It's perfect (very close). You might have one of theirs.
Has your MG42 been changed to semi-auto?
Is it possible that either of your "regular" charging-handles was modified for a semi-auto MG42? Maybe the cause of the incompatibility.
In either case, you must immediately P/M me and arrange my purchase of your "faulty" slab-sided charging-handle! I shall await your reply....
Nice find, congrats!....Phil