Charging handle

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
sbude57
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Charging handle

Post by sbude57 »

I seemed to have shot myself in the foot, not literally, of course. Early in my build, when I was reading on adapting the charging handle, I misinterpreted what do with the button on the end of the handle. Needless to say, I removed it and then discarded it. Is there any way to remedy the situation without purchasing a new charging handle? Not sure I can find the old button.Is there something I could use in it's place? I'm in the home stretch now, and to say this is discouraging is an understatement. By the way John Baum, the new top cover works great. Well, it looks great anyway.Lol. Eventually, I'll try to post some pictures.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Charging handle

Post by JBaum »

I haven't been awake long, but "button end of the charging handle"? What's that? Is it the forward end of the bar with the hook which catches the bolt to pull it back?
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
sbude57
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by sbude57 »

It's how I've read it being described. At the end of the charging handle, where the bend to catch the bolt is located, there's a small, for lack of a better term, conical button that, if I'm correct, rides along the bottom of the right rail and keeps the handle in plane. Correct me if I'm wrong. Of course, I realized it's function too late. It might also act as a stop to keep from pulling the end of the handle clear of the slot in the receiver. Again, conjecture on my part.
sbude57
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by sbude57 »

Wanted to edit my post, but couldn't, so in response to your question, yes, that is where it's located.