Feed tray and top cover

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
sbude57
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Feed tray and top cover

Post by sbude57 »

Hey everybody! With the recent acquisition of some BRP rear receiver halves, I've gotten back to working on my build. It has been progressing nicely, been following Mech Warrior's post, and it's a good feeling as things start to come together, and parts are fitting where they're supposed to. His tutorial has helped immensely as I'm limited due to lack of a mill . Anyway, I've gotten the front and rear sections tacked up, and sat down to test fit some parts. I'm having an issue with the feed tray and top cover meshing together. I'm building a 308 conversion, and as such, picked up a 308 feed tray, but kept the original top cover with the feed pawls replaced. The issue is that when I lower the top cover, the back third of the feed pawl comes down on the rear edge of the feed tray, preventing the top cover from closing. My question is, do I need to get a top cover for 308? I was under the impression that I could use the original top cover if I swapped out the feed pawl and linkage. Haven't tried it yet, but could I use the original feed tray? Did I miss something in swapping out the feed pawl? Thanks in advance.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Feed tray and top cover

Post by JBaum »

If you bought a feed tray that was converted from 8mm to .308 with the spacer, it would work with the 8mm top cover. If you bought a .308 feed tray, it requires a .308 top cover.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
sbude57
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by sbude57 »

Thanks John, that's the problem then. It is a 308 feed tray, not a converted 8mm. Is there a way to put a spacer in the original 8mm feedtray? I'll also search the forum for the answer.
sbude57
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by sbude57 »

Did some searching, I think the easiest thing will be is to buy a 308 top cover.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

A spacer can be put in, but it's not worth the trouble.

Yup, buy a .308 top cover and then you can swap to either caliber in a few seconds.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com