MG-74 Clone

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG-74 Clone

Post by roadrunner »

As the title says, Working to get as close of a reproduction as possible within my means.
Starting at the front. Turned down a BRP crimp style original barrel bushing. Made a sleeve with a .003"
interference fit in bore. Heated bushing and inserted core bushing. Pretty much a solid piece now. .003"
on a 1 3/8" bore is plenty.
Came up with dimensions from photos, comparing with knowns i.e shroud dimensions and flash hider.
Measure copy, measure known and find multiplier. Then plug in the numbers.
Lots of unique features on these. Will try to reproduce it accurately. :cross:
Attachments
bushing and sleeve.JPG
sleeved.JPG
finished bushing.JPG
assembly.JPG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MG-74 Clone

Post by JBaum »

A few MG74s came into the country years ago (I think it was 200). The manual for them shows how the trigger group works, as it is select fire instead of full auto only.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by roadrunner »

Thank's John. That's a must have. I will be ordering one from you soon.
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by roadrunner »

Had some free time in the shop today and made some progress.
Milled groove in ratchet plate. Milled down charging handle to semi specs. Milled rear of shroud square and figured length from rear of cam opening.
Using Global machine shells and mg3 rear stub. Figured I would try this out after Der Alder broke ground.
I recall the rear end on my first build was the most labor intensive part. Never seem to have enough time these days.
Anyway, Shells are milled to length front and rear. Stub is milled square. My recuperator hole is still on the shroud so it's a nice gauge to mount mg3 recup. and fit sections for overall length verification using the recup. stop in the buffer tabs.
Will be using my expanding copper jig to weld front section and rotate jig as on my first build.
Attachments
IMG_1046.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG
mg42 jig.JPG
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by rodom »

Roadrunner,
I've seen .560" listed as the width of the charging bar. Is this correct, as I'm to this point on my build and want to get the handle ready to install. I'm looking forward to seeing your MG-74 clone as it's got some pretty cool differences.