Project help/ introduction

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
kadrit
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Project help/ introduction

Post by kadrit »

Hello everyone Id like to start by introducing myself. My name is Hunter. I am rather new to the Mg42/3 platform but have been doing quite a bit of research. I do have quite a bit of experience with roller locked firearms but very little in the ways of building them. I recently was given an incomplete parts set by a friend who was unable to take it with him when he moved. From the information I was given about all of it it includes the following.

BRP rear receiver kit with the rivets, rails, buffer tabs, and semi auto blocker
BRP front receiver kit with the barrel bushing
7.62 conversion kit from RobertRTG
includes barrel, top cover, feed tray, and booster set

I am having trouble is the threading on the booster is different from the bushing. If there is a quick solution for to remedy this issue I would very much appreciate the help.

I have a general understanding of what parts I need to purchase to complete the kit. What I am having trouble with is I do not have the experience or equipment to build it myself thus I will need to find an 07 manufacturer that could take on the task. I may have a lead on one but I am uncertain of their ability to take on a project like this though. I am willing to ship the parts out of state if necessary to have it built.

As I purchase parts I may need help figuring out what is left that I need to buy before I am able to proceed with having it built.

I can also provide pictures if need.

Any and all help will be very much appreciated

Thanks,
Hunter
robertmcw

Re: Project help/ introduction

Post by robertmcw »

I have collecting MG42 parts for a while now and years back I ordered two of the mg3 flash hiders from RTG and I think you are referring that part as the booster. One of the parts was threaded just fine but one of them was damaged. I had a bushing from a used weapon and it too was damaged.
You could find a machine shop and they can check both of the parts they can just chase the threads and fix as needed. I know not what the cost for a die and tap set or the specs are if you want to buy the both sets if you want to fix it yourself.

RM
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

If the threads on front of the receiver are messed up, they make a square file with different teeth on each side (for different pitch threads) which can be used to smooth up damaged threads. Appropriately enough, it is called a thread file.

Sometimes the threads are fine, they're just out of tolerance with each other. A few minutes with a thread file can fix that too. I used it regularly when I was a car mechanic.

Here's a link to see what this tool is:

https://www.google.com/search?q=thread+ ... 531%3B2174
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
kadrit
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by kadrit »

robertmcw wrote:I have collecting MG42 parts for a while now and years back I ordered two of the mg3 flash hiders from RTG and I think you are referring that part as the booster. One of the parts was threaded just fine but one of them was damaged. I had a bushing from a used weapon and it too was damaged.
You could find a machine shop and they can check both of the parts they can just chase the threads and fix as needed. I know not what the cost for a die and tap set or the specs are if you want to buy the both sets if you want to fix it yourself.

RM
I will look around and see if I can find a machine shop that can check out both threads. I have a feeling that they are 2 different sizes. If worse comes to worst Ill have to either get a new bushing or flash hider to get the right size. As for going about having built would it be possible to have it built in step? Such as have to bare receiver built first with a serial number then have the internals come later on or wait and acquire all of the parts and then proceed from there?

Thanks
Hunter
robertmcw

Post by robertmcw »

Well if it were mine, I would solve the threading issue first. I find it hard to believe that BRP would have installed a bad bushing but things do happen. If the bushing is a bad bushing, I would call BRP and ask if you can ship the parts to BRP and ask if they would fix it. Replacing a bushing is not easy. Now as the engraving goes, if you have the BRP rear halves with no numbers now would be a neat time to design one and there a few guys on the board can help you with that but I think they would want do it before you weld the halves.
Again if were mine, I would get a newer semi style bolt carrier and the grip stick (both BRP) and try to get (or find) a camming piece that has a matching set but I must say good luck doing that. For the rails, RTG as new rails but you will need to install the holes right and you could find to be easier to find a good used set. Remember there two separate rails and if you install the wrong one, it is hard to fix it later (ask me how I know).
What type of ammo to plan to feed it? That will make a difference to the most of the rest of the parts.
kadrit
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by kadrit »

robertmcw wrote:Well if it were mine, I would solve the threading issue first. I find it hard to believe that BRP would have installed a bad bushing but things do happen. If the bushing is a bad bushing, I would call BRP and ask if you can ship the parts to BRP and ask if they would fix it. Replacing a bushing is not easy. Now as the engraving goes, if you have the BRP rear halves with no numbers now would be a neat time to design one and there a few guys on the board can help you with that but I think they would want do it before you weld the halves.
Again if were mine, I would get a newer semi style bolt carrier and the grip stick (both BRP) and try to get (or find) a camming piece that has a matching set but I must say good luck doing that. For the rails, RTG as new rails but you will need to install the holes right and you could find to be easier to find a good used set. Remember there two separate rails and if you install the wrong one, it is hard to fix it later (ask me how I know).
What type of ammo to plan to feed it? That will make a difference to the most of the rest of the parts.

I have the receiver halves for both the shroud and rear receiver. I dont know if the issue is caused by using an mg3 flash hider or not. Im going to try and get a hold of some thread gauges to see if they are both the same threading and will work from there to remedy the problem. As for camming piece Ive been looking on Rtg and apex for one. Right now the running price on it is somewhere around 50 dollars. I do plan on getting both the grip stick and bolt from BRP. With the rails I got the set that came with the halves from BRP. For ammo Im planning on using the white box federal 7.62x51, the old blue training rounds with the replacement bolt head, and if at all possible steel cased ammo to keep the cost of feeding it somewhat lower.

Thanks
Hunter