grip stick mods

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Jason

grip stick mods

Post by Jason »

can someone tell me if I am on the right track for the mods to the grip stick. It apperars that there are plates welded on either side to allow for drilling of new holes for the ar trigger assembly. sound right? and I assume that you could not drill out the holes for the hammer until the modified bolt is inserted so you get the proper height.

and one last thing. the new mount on the front must have to be moved forward some so the rear mount can be used but the new angle will slip over the cross piece at the rear of the ejection port.
I am determined to do this myself so any imput would be very helpful.
Karbinator

Handle mod

Post by Karbinator »

I did see some grip work pictures on Weaponeer, but yea, I second that thought........ anyone like to chime in on that hammer spacing?

Jason, pm sent about your kit. I was asking if you liked everything you recieved from them, and how the cuts looked? I'm about to get a kit, and need a go ahead from someone that got good stuff.
skip in VA
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

jason, yes you plate the grip, you also weld a small piece of angle to the front of the grip to grab in the rear of the ejection port, I think hunts (the guy doing everyones mods) will sell the plaets predrilled with directions also if you email him he can put you on the rite track though he is backlogged with mods to do and works nite shift, he has started to post pics
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Here are a few pictures of my grip frame I have since added a safety and lowered my hammer & trigger a 1/16 which allows it to now use stock unmodified trigger & sear. Also cut the original trigger and welded it over the AR trigger.

http://www.picturerack.com/ims/ak47dennis/7848.jpg
Last edited by ak47dennis on Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ak47dennis

Re: grip stick mods

Post by ak47dennis »

Jason wrote:can someone tell me if I am on the right track for the mods to the grip stick. It apperars that there are plates welded on either side to allow for drilling of new holes for the ar trigger assembly. sound right? and I assume that you could not drill out the holes for the hammer until the modified bolt is inserted so you get the proper height.

and one last thing. the new mount on the front must have to be moved forward some so the rear mount can be used but the new angle will slip over the cross piece at the rear of the ejection port.
I am determined to do this myself so any imput would be very helpful.

Jason you are on the right track with the side plates and mount. Actually you can drill and install the hammer/trigger you will be fine with the correct height in relation to the firing pin. Since you will have to do some heavy shaping on the upper part of the hammer to fit up inside the bolt extension, try and get your fire control as low as possible to keep the resting position of the hammer right around zero clearance with the bottom of you modified bolt.

Here is a how your the bottom of the semi reciver looks.

http://www.picturerack.com/ims/ak47dennis/7865.jpg
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

Dennis out of curiosity how did you get the ratchet plate so clean after rewelding? all cut recievers I've seen have been cut thru the ratchet "nubs" how did you repair those? I have been thinking of ordering new ones from BRP since they've got em.
Jason

Post by Jason »

ak47dennis. How did you determine the height of the hammer. Is it set off of the 'cocking bar' or whatever is welded to the bolt? and do you have any trouble with the ar hammer as the pics. i've seen make the new firing pin look like one massive piece of metal.
Jason

Post by Jason »

you answered my question while I was typing it :oops:
Jason

'

Post by Jason »

karbinator. pm sent
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

1919gunner wrote:Dennis out of curiosity how did you get the ratchet plate so clean after rewelding? all cut recievers I've seen have been cut thru the ratchet "nubs" how did you repair those? I have been thinking of ordering new ones from BRP since they've got em.

First off this was an I.O. kit, the cuts are much cleaner then the 3-cuts. I am going to be building another semi 42 using the 3-cut receiver I am starting to get lazy so I will more then likely also buy a new ratchet plate hopefully BRP's are just like the originals (unlike their receivers.) But when I fixed the plate I just backed it with copper and filled with the TIG. I then hand sanded and filed, If were crazy enough to use a mig I would be their forever removing all the material (end rant.)

http://www.picturerack.com/ims/ak47dennis/7877.jpg
slowfinger

Post by slowfinger »

Good pics Dennis, I'm slowly learning here. Great sight. Keep em straight old buddie....Slowfinger 8)
Jason

'

Post by Jason »

ak47dennis. Did you remove and material from the back side of the ejection port, or just move the new angle piece forward a bit on the grip stick?

btw great pics!
ak47dennis

Re: '

Post by ak47dennis »

Jason wrote:ak47dennis. Did you remove and material from the back side of the ejection port, or just move the new angle piece forward a bit on the grip stick?

btw great pics!
Let me see if I understand what you asking. No my ejection port is original size, the hook (new forward mount) welds to the front of the grip stick and the side plates will weld to the hook (mount.)
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

slowfinger wrote:Good pics Dennis, I'm slowly learning here. Great sight. Keep em straight old buddie....Slowfinger 8)
Slowfinger good to see you over here!!! :D
Jason

Post by Jason »

thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know. :)