Riveting rails to the receiver

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
toddkoehler
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Riveting rails to the receiver

Post by toddkoehler »

I have a question on riveting the rails to my receiver. I'm unsure if the rivets are to be completely flat on the inside of the rails or have the normal round rivet head protruding out. I've looked for photos of other installs to clarify this but haven't been able to locate any. I'll be doing a weld up of a 3 cut demill so I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. Danke!

Kohl
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Riveting rails to the receiver

Post by roadrunner »

Hi Todd. The rivets will keep their round profile on the inside of receiver. When you make your bucking tools you will need to provide a relief on them to prevent the head from crushing. There is not alot of clearance between inner rivet heads and bolt head, so centering in the rails is crucial. RR :D Oh yeah, Welcome to the site. Lots of good people here with tons of knowledge. So ask away and I'm sure you will get answers to whatever questions you have.
toddkoehler
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Re: Riveting rails to the receiver

Post by toddkoehler »

I have a bucking bolt set up. With that info I'll go ahead and mill a contoured relief dead center in the bucker to ensure the head is preserved. Thank you very much for the info. Very hard to find reference on the rail rivets. When I get to the weld up I'm planning on tigging the receiver but I'm still searching for a middle 3rd section. My receiver and shroud have the Trunion or Cam section cut out. I'll have to do some hunting. Tons of more questions to come!!

Kohl