Pictures of MG42 weld up jig - redone sticky

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Pictures of MG42 weld up jig - redone sticky

Post by 42rocker »

Due to missing pictures and other things I have made this thread to replace the
"""Better pitcures of my MG42 Jig-Fixture""" by pdstout. I have tried to keep as much as possible that is on topic. I have removed some material for this thread.

The original thread can be found by clicking the following.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2761

Later 42rocker

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pdstout » Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
P. Stout 07FFL/SOT posts showing missing pics

Sevo » Mon May 22, 2006 9:04 am
What do you use to grind down the welds between the trunnion/camming dimple and the first site brackets. I use dremmel stones but the done do such a great job.

pdstout » Mon May 22, 2006 9:40 am
I use flexable sanding disc, with a air grinder. I start with a 50 grit and work my way down to the fine hair scotch bright pads. They seem to work the best for me.

PATRIOT » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:57 pm
I was curious about the strings too. Are they to sight along?

breda65 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:21 pm
The strings are to sight the alignment. I use the rivet holes on the back of the receiver and the center of the nose then I adjust the pieces acordingly. The string on top aligns with the two rivets on the back of the receiver and the sight mounts at the front. The back of the reciver is welded first using the rails as alignment. then the front end is put on the jig to conect the rest of the receiver together.

TbcSEOD » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 am
10 foot section of unistrut from Home Depot was 9 bucks and the all thread rod was I think 8 bucks for a 36 inch piece plus 1 bag of nuts and 1 bag of washers......... I had a hard time finding the unistrut though and was told it was in the electrical isle, sure enough it was right next to the electrical conduit piping.
I wound up getting impatient though and welded mine up using little "C" clamps and the camming piece to get the correct spacing of the cam windows, the rails to tack together the 2 mid sections and the barrel/bushing and a ruler to get the nose one and 2 pieces of scrap flat steel (with the little clamps) to tack up the rear section.
Admitted I had to take out the dremel and cut a tack here and there to "tweek" alignments/spacings and such but over all it came out surprisingly well for "red-necking" it.

artech » Thu May 29, 2008 1:54 am
Here's mine. Hunk of 3/8" x 5" angle iron and 1/2" all-thread. I like things overbuilt! seriously though, I'm using a CS receiver blank and needed the extra meat to hold things in position. Bit of a pain to set up and take down, but it sure holds things where you want! -- (pic is missing)

Following post has the pictures from flemgunner and is the main reason why this thread was saved.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pictures of MG42 weld up jig - redone sticky

Post by 42rocker »

part 2 flemgunner pics and info

by flemgunner » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:35 pm
Here's a couple pictures of mine. I went with the longer bolts because when I used it for the rear receiver half I bolted it down from the top and bottom as opposed to the bottom and inside the receiver
IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg
flemgunner » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 am
I guess it would help to know how I made it. I basically used some shelving brackets I picked up at home depot. I cut some off the front and back (the length of the MG42 is about 37" is I remember correctly) so I had an overall length of about 39 - 40". I used the cut off parts for the end stands and then drilled holes in the center all along the length of the bracket so I could move the bolts where I needed them to be. I used 2 different sized washers both above and below the receiver to hold it in place also used a nut at the bottom of the bolt to hold it then a nut under the receiver and one above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that this looks better.

Later 42rocker
Sw1ngK1ng
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Re: Pictures of MG42 weld up jig - redone sticky

Post by Sw1ngK1ng »

I made my jig with a 1" rod running through the entire receiver milling flats is some places to make it fit. On the front I made a bushing that would fit snug between the barrel bushing and the jig rod. one the back I made an adapter that would slide over the jig rod on one end and the buffer spring would slide in the other end. this held the front barrel bushing in line with buffer. I then used some masking take to build up the diameter of the jig rod where the barrel stop is holing the entire front section strait. Then I made a jig to hold the rails straight. I used a a piece of square stock steel and milled the corners for the rails to fit over and be held with the correct spacing. This square jig was then drilled and reamed to 1" on both ends. Then the jig rod was cut and the square jig was spliced into it. Now the front barrel bushing, barrel stop, rails, and buffer are held perfectly inline. I then riveted the rails into the rear receiver before any receiver welding has been done. Then I welded the receiver halves together using only the square jig. Now everything is held exactly where is needs to be for the final welding of the front and back receiver. What followed this is what seemed an eternity of milling.

This was all done early a while back and It runs perfectly without any jams, misfires or any other posable malfunctions. I would guess I have over 100 hours in it but if I build another I can see it only taking a few weeks. Sadly the jig rod was cut up and thrown in scrap by a not so intelligent fellow employee but is still have the bushings and square jig.