Disassembly of a Wise Lite bolt head

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Disassembly of a Wise Lite bolt head

Post by messerschmittfan »

I recently purchased a Wise Lite Bolt for my semi-auto build. I noticed at the front of the bolt, the part where the case of the round sits there is a round bushing protruding that will not allow a round to seat. I think that the bushing is in backwards and that it should be removed and inserted from the rear of the bolt head. It appears that the firing pin spring should be sitting on it. I have disassembled the bolt but am sure about the bolt head. Should there be a bushing for the firing pin in the bolt head and how is it secured? A photo of the bolt head and the area that the round sits in would be great. Thanks Harry
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Disassembly of a Wise Lite bolt head

Post by 42rocker »

First Welcome to the board...
I'll try to help you out after I get to work and get some time to address this if someones else does not.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Harry
One pic of your bolt would go a long way. Check the following thread

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3263

Later 42rocker
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Thanks! I will try to post a photograph, if it fails please email me at connors@online.de and I will send you one direct. This came out of a new semi auto Wise Lite SA rifle that a class 7 dealer was converting to FA. I also got the grip stick with the bolt. Harry
Attachments
this is the plug/bushing in the firing pin hole
this is the plug/bushing in the firing pin hole
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

I need to point out that there is not a ring indention on that bushing, that is the light reflecting off of the machined surface. When looking at the bolt head from the rear I can see that it is a bushing but am still unsure as to how it is held in. I will try removing it this weekend unless I get some other advice on it. Harry
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Your pic posted. The first thing that I would do is to call wiselite and talk with them. In the past they have been great in working out problems.
That said that's an interesting bolt face unlike anything that I've seen. Will download the pic and study more.

Later 42rocker
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Thanks, what is hard to see in the photograph is that there is no way the rim of the case can fit into that bolt head. The bushing sticks out almost to the end of the edge of the bolt with a flat edge set on it. The firing pin comes just to the end of the bushing. I am almost convinced that the bushing is in backwards but I will not have a chance to check it until this weekend as I do not have a shop yet. Thanks Harry
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

that sure looks screwed up
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Ok, my thoughts are that's an interesting bushing. Without seeing it in person it's like it's not pushed in all of the way. Why, look at the hole that the ejector push rod goes through. How do I say this, the depth of a cut just looks correct. What does the other side of this bushing look like??
Why the bushing? Well could be the bolt face really needed to be redone due to pitting or something new in their firing pin setup that we have not seen before.
Again I would call wiselite and the email them that photo before you do anything else. In the pass they worked real hard to correct their problems.
Good Luck

Later 42rocker
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Sent a query off to Wise Lite today with some photographs. I will post their reply. Harry
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Harry
Getting a hold of wiselite is the best thing that you could have done. My thoughts that is.
Please share whats happening with us.

Later 42rocker
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Sure you tried this already: Pry extractor up, let bushing fall out...Phil
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Hi The bushing is not held by the extractor it appears to be a fitted piece that looks like it is in backwards. Harry
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

I could not stand not knowing what the problem was and not having any reply from Wise Lite I went ahead and took everything apart. The bushing is a pressed fit into a recess into the front of the bolt head. It was pushed forward by the firing pin as there was a burr in the hole in the middle of the bushing that the firing pin goes through. I removed the burr pressed the bushing back in until it was flush with the bolt face (the bushing has a shoulder that fits inside the bolt head) and put it all together. A 7.92x57 round base fits into the bolt face now and the extractor holds the rim, something that did not happen before. The firing pin goes through the bushing with no drag and the firing pin spring retracts it as well. Problem solved. I will put some lock tight on it once I get my shop set up. Thanks for all of the input. Harry :wnana:
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I'm still interested in why that bushing is there.

Later 42rocker
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =346749044Yes, I see now that the bushing is smaller than the extractor. If the shoulder inside has enough "room" to allow it to come foreward, are you sure that loctite will prevent the recurrance? If it really needs to be there, maybe it needs a bushing that has a thicker shoulder. Good question as to why it's there in the first place. Is the bolt WW2 German? Experimental? Blank-firing? Evil-genius firing system? Do you have a different bolt-head? They're not expensive...Phil
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Thanks for the comments, I have no idea why the firing pin bushing is there, as I noted, the bolt came out of a new Wise Lite Rifle (SA MG53) that I purchased the bolt and grip off of. The dealer who sold them never fired the gun as he wanted it for a bigger nightmare -converting it to full auto. He is licensed to do that but I suspect he would have been better off welding a cut up one together and using it as the Wise Lite was designed from the start to be semi-auto. Anyway the bolt is a semi-auto Wise Lite production, perhaps Yugo manufacture but it has no markings other that the etched in serial number of the rifle. Perhaps the bolt head was pitted too bad and needed the bushing. I have installed bushings in other bolts (not MG) where the firing pin holes were not round and the firing pin was not centered. I do have several other bolts that have not been converted yet, I actually purchased this one to use as a sample to convert my German and Yugo bolt to. I will fit it with another bolt head to check it out better. I have a Wise Lite semi-auto receiver to put it in. Thanks again for the input. Harry
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

The only thought that comes to mind is the bolt face was too rough and a pitted out bolt face for use and they cut in a new bushing to use it. Which really does not make a lot of sense machine time wise. A bolt head can normally be found for less than $50.00 Complete bolts less than $100.00.
So was this something that's there to prevent slam fires or ??. Before I locked it in I would be interested in finding out more info from wiselite. Call or give them a couple more days or the email before you do anything.

Later 42rocker
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Thanks both of their gunsmiths are gone until next Monday but since I do not have my shop yet I am in no hurry and will wait until I hear from them before I worry about it more. Thanks for the input. Harry
mksshoot
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by mksshoot »

The bushing on the Wiselite bolt head us part of their conversion to semi auto. Wiselite uses a 2 piece firing pin design utilizing the original firing pin modified as the front pin. An original firing pin has a dia. of 3.95 to 4.0 mm. The modified pin leaves the last 1/4" at its original dia. so it will rest in the back the locking wedge' then the rest of the firing pins diameter is turned down to a diameter of 3mm to fit through the hole in the bushing installed in the bolt face' thus preventing the use of an unmodified or original firing pin from being used. Then the back of the locking wedge is drilled 3mm for the rear firing pin to strike the front firing to fire the weapon. One thing to check with the front firing pin is the pin protrusion out of the bolt face. With the locking wedge fully forward and the rollers extended fully outward the pin should not protrude more than .065 in. Also check with the locking wedge retracted and the rollers in (you can do this with the bolt in the rails in the gun) that the firing pin DOES NOT protrude past the bolt face as an out of battery ignition or slam fire condition could happen! Hope this helps. And by all means talk to the folks at Wiselite Arms as they are very helpful.