MG42 SA Reweld Build Project by Schwartzer

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Schwartzer
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG42 SA Reweld Build Project by Schwartzer

Post by Schwartzer »

Finally started my build. This is a war time Mg42 converted to MG1... I think.
Started installing a modified BRP bolt blocker. I milled 1mm down into the reciever. 1mm off the bottom of part of the blocker. Shortened the front blocker to allow room for the screw. Next drill 2 countersinked holes throuh the receiver and grind out the rails. Then weld the bolt blocker in 4 places. (Front, back, and 2 countersunk holes)
This will block the FA bolt and he FA sear and hopfully will not interfear wih anything else.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Re: MG42 SA Reweld Build Project by Schwartzer

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Better late than never :D nice kit, keep us posted on progress.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by roadrunner »

Hi Schwartzer, I figure you are mounting the blocking bar from the inside to avoid removing the trigger housing bracket. Looks workable. Just keep in mind you will have to reduce the height of the blocker as it is real close to the bolt extension when mounted from the outside/bottom. Good luck on your project. Looks great. :D RR
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Good Luck on this.

Later 42rocker
Schwartzer
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Schwartzer »

Thanks I did mill down the blocker to match the hight on BRP spec.
I learned grinding the rivets on the inside is a wasted effort. Ended up milling them off on the outside.
Drilled out he 2 welds in the grip holder.
Next mill the grip slot .25" longer and clean up all the torched areas.
Attachments
image.jpg
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Glad to see that you are working on this.

Thank you for your first picture as this is on something that I've been trying to get more info on.
PLEASE everyone look at the first picture, notice the gripstick holder and the way the 90 degree bend is. Sharp and not rounded.. As I believe that this receiver is a nice long step front and a original German. It shows something that I've found on a lot of original receivers. German gripstick holders are sharp cornered and yugo ones are rounded.
Thanks again for the pic of this area.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Also the way that I've removed rivets in order to get the rails out is to grind down the rivets then punch them out. I have also use a drill after grinding then punched the rivet out.

Later 42rocker
Schwartzer
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Schwartzer »

Slowly getting back into this build. Finished an RPD build. Just got the RPB semi bolt. Figured out last night how to start the welding. I plan on starting with the section cut over the trigger group. I will use the recoperator stop and mouting hole for length alinment. Then the rail holes will be used to secure flat stock to keep it in place.
Next will be the rear section. I will verify the top will latch and the bolt will clear the frame and FA bolt blocker.
Anything else i need to keep an eye out for?
Schwartzer
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Schwartzer »

The bolt blocker is welded in and will block the FA bolt.
I tested the semi bolt and it is super tight on the sides with new rails and touches the bolt blocker. I think the rails need to move down a little too. I will compare and check with the old rails. I also think this section may be bent slightly inward. The top pin is touching both sides of the slot it rides through.
Schwartzer
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Schwartzer »

So before you remove the original rails, clean the slag and get all the bends out. Make sure the bolt falls through on the rails. Then you can remove them.
Im using the recuperator as a length control to weld the 2 pieces that make the grip stick hole.
Schwartzer
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Schwartzer »

Tacked up the 2 sections again. Did a test fit with rails recouperator, camming block, and bolt. Glad i did it isn't straight enogh for the rail and recouperator to seat properly, slight bent downward. Also the back of thesemi bolt is hitting the bolt blocker. I will fix that before i weld the tail section on. At least i am seeing progress.
The bolt is pretty snug in the reciever do i need to shave a few thousand off the back of the rails?