Rail length

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Rail length

Post by crash520 »

Gents,

I have been collecting measurements from EVERYWHERE, including a local original MG42 as I have two projects being assembly of the front and rear sections of two guns back togeather.
Now, I have, what I feel are correct dimensions from the rear of the cam box window to the verticle part of the 'D' cut for the rails as per the picture below, this is very close to the 2.215" that roadrunner posted recently from his MG53 and within about 0.010" of the local MG42 that I measured.

Problem is the bolt rails I have are 2.295" as per the photo attached, what are the issues if I trim the length of the front of the rails?

VR
Crash
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rail length

Post by JBaum »

in order to get an accurate measurement, you'll need to put a piece of steel the same thickness of the sidewall of the receiver behind the little tab of the rail, and measure from the front edge of the piece of steel to the front of the rail.

The tapered edge of your caliper is sitting deeper under the tab than the receiver will sit, so your measurement isn't accurate for your purpose.

I think that will eliminate most of the discrepancy.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

Thanks JB
If im not mistaken, the flat edge of the tab on the rail should rest up against the flat edge of the 'D' cut out in the side wall of the rec (unless i'm not understanding you sorry), if this is in fact correct the front of the rail will pass into the cam box window.
The photo is not alowing you to see the caliper correctly sorry, it is against the flat edge of the tab. in any case we are talking about an 0.080" difference, quite significant.
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by roadrunner »

crash, heres some more numbers for you. My two new rails measure 2.307" and 2.305". My two old yugo rails measure 2.219" and 2.250". Furthermore, I dont think they match my gun due to them both being right side items.
It appears to me as these are individually fitted items. Love to here more cause I'm in the same boat. :)
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by roadrunner »

Oh yeah, Jbaum has a good point. I used a toolsteel bit and my depth mic. Even so .080" is a buttload to overlook.
Any angle off parallel will result in cosine error, so try to minimize it.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

file front of rail. Small gap between cam piece and rail is preferable to butt-tight.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Bullwinkle
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Bullwinkle »

Don't worry about the rails! Rails are trimmed to fit in each receiver. EVERY RECEIVER IS DIFFERENT ESPECIALLY IF A REWELD. You should mount the rails then file flush with the cam piece opening, or use some proper sized bolts to mount the rails, mark the correct length, unbolt, trim to size then rivet. I would suggest temporarily installing your recouperator to obtain the proper rail height also before you drill rivet hole location. There is a LOT OF SLOP in the MG42 rail/feed sysetm. DO NOT GET TO ANAL MEASURING! The critical fitment is between the CAM PIECE/BARREL EXTENSION/BOLT...and you have little to NO control over that! Getting those parts TOGETHER is very forgiving with an extremely wide allowence for variations in tolerances. (Think AK Sloppy which is GOOD....vs. M16)

Use your measurements to get the receiver sections as close as possible. But it will NEVER come out exact! welds SHRINK and warp no matter how accurate you try to make it, they WILL BE OFF! Don't sweat to dimension too much...these guns are very forgiving. especially if you actually TRY to get them rewelded close to factory dimensions...

Good luck!
Mess with the Bull and you'll get the HORNS!
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

Thanks BW,

appreciate your imput and will take it on board, im just trying to get it perfect, if you ask my friends, family and girlfiend, i drive them mad! everything has to be perfect!

Thanks to everyone for their valuable help.

V/R
Greg
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

So, I should trim the front of the rails to suit rather than move the 'D' cut out window on the rec back toward the rear, correct
Bullwinkle
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Bullwinkle »

DO NOT MOVE THE 'D' cut! Trim the front end of the rail that overhangs into the cam piece opening in the receiver.
Mess with the Bull and you'll get the HORNS!