New Guy Question

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
MG42fan

New Guy Question

Post by MG42fan »

Ok, I ordered an MG-42 parts kit. I'm wanting to do this right and the info seems to be all over the place but if you're unsure what words to use in your search, doesn't help to search.

So how do I build this right? What are my options? What is the "Easiest right way" (With murphy's law I'm sure it's not exactly easy.)
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: New Guy Question

Post by JBaum »

Not being a smarta$$ here:

1. Read Stickies section. viewforum.php?f=39

2. Ask specific questions about what you don't understand in Stickies.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
jcmg42
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by jcmg42 »

drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

we would need to know exactly what you received in your kit and what you want when your done along with an understanding of your skill set to give you GOOD advice on what to do and get.
But we are here to help, you just have to help us help you.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
MG42fan

Post by MG42fan »

Well what I got was this kit.

http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53-1.aspx

Same guys actually.

What I want is a fully functional semi-auto M53 with a picatinny style rail on it (Saw a pic of a German troop who had a EO Tech mounted on his MG, not sure I wanna spring for an EO Tech for it but there are lots of options out there for optics.). No jamming would be preferable, nothing is as sweet as a well maintained gun that likes to run flawless. :)

Skill Set? I've assembled my own AR rifle minus building the upper, converted an S12 to a pistol grip, improved said Saiga 12's reliability by modifying the gas block and a good deal of polishing and checking contact points, etc. It now runs through federal value pack ammo in 30 degree weather flawlessly. I seem to have an ability to understand mechanical things in general, smoothed out the trigger pull on my Glock 27 Gen 4, less gritty and smoooooth. Things like that.

Edit: I also want to be able to swap back and forth between 8mm and .308 so I know I'll need a conversion kit. Not sure if the bolt is the same for both cartridges though. The belt for that matter either.
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

Can you weld? :wnana:
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
blackreichswehr
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by blackreichswehr »

JBAUM, simply gave you the best advance--look through the the site,it's here. the best minds are here. how do i know, i learned from them. don't make something easy hard, just ask. don't be square and ask off the wall cramp, think it through. you sound like a person off gun builder class. i know sometimes i'am an ass, B.S. questions bug me.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Bolt can be used for both. Belts,,, it's nice to have .308 belt for .308 and 8mm for 8mm but .308 will work with 8mm belts. Sometimes the 8mm will work with a well used .308 belt butttt. Belts are to cheap to deal with that type of problem. Lots of info on this site and almost all of the folks here will go out of their way to help you. That said, ar-15's are easy.... This one is it's own thing.
Like the man said can you weld? Do you have a tig or mig welder?
Also of the sight. It's "easy" to remove the rear sight and put something in to hold your favorite sight. Like pull one pin and the jig something up to mount a rail to then your sight on the rail. Pull pin and change back.

Later 42rocker
MG42fan

Post by MG42fan »

Unfortunately I can not weld.

Never have taken a "gun building class" just brave enough to "Gump it" and do it anyway.

Yes I'm well aware than ARs are easy. I believe the term is "stupid-easy". I've also installed a front sight on one of my 1911s. I forgot about that.

And yes I can understand not wanting to deal with stupid questions. I try not to ask stupid questions but human beings do slip up from time to time.

I understand how most of the gun works. I also firmly believe I can do this. I'm the type that likes to have everything figured out before I start so I have less headaches. I also prefer to measure twice so I get it right.

I understand to "take a look around" but I also needed a definite parts list so that I could complete the project. Which brought me to the creation of this topic. I'm not one of these punk kids that's gonna ask which end is the business end. lol :D

Just seems a lil stand offish around here. "Just look around" mean while I'm still scratching my head. I like point blank and clear. You need this this and this over here. You'll need to do this this and this, watch out for that cuz of this. Granted the process I'm sure I can look around for, I don't have to ask about that. But like I said, what other parts do I need?
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

Ok, to the point, you'll need a rear reciever, a front reciever for the booster, an ar or fal FCG for the pistol grip and a bipod. Next you'll need to mod the bolt and install the full auto block before you do any welding.

Now get r done. :wnana:
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Try reviewing some of the stuff on this link.

http://projectguns.com/mg42.html

Later 42rocker
jcmg42
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by jcmg42 »

I already posted a link to mechwarrier's build.

Here's oakrodent
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9153

BRP sells (when in stock) a full receiver.

I've got a link index and steps document in work but it takes time. Pop off the top 10 questions in your head and I'll see what I can do to include them in the info (if they aren't already)

1)parts list
:
MG42fan

Post by MG42fan »

Now we're talkin :)

So I'll add an AR FCG to my parts list, and from the looks of it, I'll need to cut off the excess from the torch cutting carefully and also carefully grind everything out nice and easy to make sure the booster bushing seats straight and properly. It also looks like I might need to use a few levels to make sure the halves are on par before welding and then I need to measure out some stuff and make a few cuts for needed holes, rivet some things in place and heat treat certain places.

Edit: as well as making a semi-auto bolt and the FA blocker. I also noticed I need a shorter spring for the semi-auto bolt.

Where on earth do I get a bakelite stock for this thing btw?
blackreichswehr
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by blackreichswehr »

mg42fan , sorry i added one letter, instead of {off} builder class i meant "of", of buider class, i am sorry. i was'nt implying that your question on the matter was off the wall. it's a matter that some get on this site with no build nohow , ramble on without looking through the site. then start off, aking upside down B.S. questions, like some liberial @ 99% rally.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

4 places come to mind on the stock
1 here
2 gunbroker
3 brp
4 aa

Also review the area under stickes under building under the mg42 part on tis site.

Later 42rocker
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

MG42fan wrote: Unfortunately I can not weld.
Just seems a lil stand offish around here. "Just look around" mean while I'm still scratching my head. I like point blank and clear. You need this this and this over here. You'll need to do this this and this, watch out for that cuz of this. Granted the process I'm sure I can look around for, I don't have to ask about that. But like I said, what other parts do I need?
Everyone here is more than willing to help with a project, but we get frequent "I bought a parts kit, what do I do now?" questions about things that have been covered repeatedly before, so we just refer the new people to the Stickies section. It saves the new guy and us a lot of time that way, and that's why we have it. Explanations, pictures, tutorials and specifics of what's needed and how to do it are already available, so there's no advantage in multiple threads listing all the same information.

If you want a complete parts list of what the gun has and how it all goes together, manual PDV 918 has that, but it's for the full auto version, not the semi. The difference will be the bolt and trigger group, and both of those are covered in the stickies section already. There is no manual for building a semi specifically, other than the Stickies section here.

Of course you "can" weld, you just haven't yet. Tig welding isn't that hard, it just takes some practice. There's nothing like doing an entire project by yourself for satisfaction when you're done. Some scrap metal and a borrowed tig welder is all you need to learn. A welding course at the local vocational school isn't a bad idea either. There's a Miller Welding tutorial for tig welding on my website on the Links & DL page.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
MG42fan

Post by MG42fan »

blackreichswehr wrote:mg42fan , sorry i added one letter, instead of {off} builder class i meant "of", of buider class, i am sorry. i was'nt implying that your question on the matter was off the wall. it's a matter that some get on this site with no build nohow , ramble on without looking through the site. then start off, aking upside down B.S. questions, like some liberial @ 99% rally.

It's all good man don't worry about it.

One guy I know already wants me to document it on another forum. He's a lil tired of the same topics on the forum and a semi-auto MG-42/M53 is on his wish list as well. So I'm prolly gonna do that too as he's beggin me to do it. lol The big trick for me is that I have to find a welder. I agree, not that I can't but I just haven't learned yet. So I gotta find a welder to borrow and someone who can coach me.
jcmg42
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by jcmg42 »

I've not seen anywhere with the backlite stocks. There were some old messages talking about a build and sell, but that was 2010.

Gunbroker had one in Feb that went for $150:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =272905170
MG42fan

Post by MG42fan »

Another question. I'm looking for the right AR trigger set to put in it. Question is, which one do I need. The Colt large pin version or the small pin version for my grip stick when I tear it down and get to work?
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Don't get discouraged. My very first build was a MG-42. Lots of people tried to persuade me not to build one. I'm just thick headed or maybe too stupid to listen. You can learn the basics of mig welding fairly easy. I think my 8 yld son can mig weld good enough for a MG-42. I have been welding since I was 7 so I didn't have that to learn. There is lots of info hear and lots of new guys ask the same questions. Just research everything. Also learn when something is out of your league. There are bolt and trigger kits out there also complete bolt and trigger packs. Getting something that already built doesn't take away from the whole build if you do the rest. BRP does sell full receivers. They need a lot of work. Some might say a dremel is all you need, but it really should be a mill for one of his receivers. My first was a re-weld of a cut receiver. It turned out pretty good and it worked. I ended up cutting it back up and selling it. I have built my fair share since then.
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary