So... How do I build this thing?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
AaronHorrocks

So... How do I build this thing?

Post by AaronHorrocks »

Here's the Yugo M53 Parts kit that I got from Centerfire Systems:

...And now what? How do I build this into a semi-auto that can shoot old military surplus 8mm? Where's the schematics to do this?

There appears to be a couple companies making semi-auto parts and receiver sections, which may or may not be compatible with each other. And there's more than one person doing conversion work to re-machine parts to semi.

I've spend hours searching the net, and I can't find any specifics and measurements on what does where... Which is very important before someone starts to TIG something up.
snekrz
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: So... How do I build this thing?

Post by snekrz »

First Welcome. Building your '42 will give you joy and pain ;)
Check the stickies and down load all the drawings and prints you can find and print them out. The easiest way is to look at all the threads on step by step builds posted here and figure out how you want to build your kit based off of these. You will need a rear receiver and most likely a camming section. You can still find original rear recievers that need to major welding with a jig or you can get the ready made ones that need simple welding and fitting. It helps to have access to a welder. TIG is preferred but many have used mig. A mill is also very handy but not absolutely necessary. Dremels angle grinders etc all a must have. Hope that gives you some where to start. Mine is almost done and its taken me off an on 5 years. Money and time permitting.

Good luck, Jason
snekrz
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by snekrz »

Ok looks like you dont have to worry about the camming section with your kit. Lucky bastard ;) Just rear receiver,gripstick mods bolt mods front bushing and minor stuff.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

1st hope that the barrel is 8mm and not drilled.
2nd """Where's the schematics to do this?""" go the the mg42 area and review what is there, what you need is there. The Lobo 1919 build stuff on this website is either Pirate's work or Oakrodent's work mg42 /m53 work. Look for their threads.
3rd plan on getting a brp rear to weld together and attach to your barrel shroud as you are lucky enough in that you got a camming area that can work with a brp rear. http://www.brpguns.com/
4th read read read then ask a few more questions as several new folks on the site either just finished or are building one at this time.
5th Plan on buying John Baum's German books. They are to the mg42/m53 as kkkriverrats books are to the 1919.... http://www.germanmanuals.com/ email him and ask which ones to start with.
6th Pirate and brp have semi stuff. There are several others also doing it. However you can do this yourself also. Review the stuff on this website. brp sells a ready to go bolt and/or also the parts to redo things yourself. brp website also has several nice diagrams that will help.
7th Also quit searching the net.... You are here now.... This is the place with the info like 1919a4.com is for 1919 well mg42.us is for mg42/m53's

Good Luck and ask more questions after you have reviewed the 5 - MG42 topic areas and used your search button.

Later 42rocker
AaronHorrocks

Post by AaronHorrocks »

In regards to http://www.brpguns.com it looks like I need both the front sheet metal kit, and the rear sheet metal kit?
...Because I don't even have the front bushing! The sheet metal is ruined there, also.

And also:

A rivet set
Semi-auto bolt
semi-auto bolt rail

Ratchet Plate???
Semi Recuperator???

For the trigger, I'm kinda digging the FAL setup...

Can anyone help me with my shopping list at BRP?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I think I can still find a rivet set for you,for the rails,not the camping piece. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
AaronHorrocks

Post by AaronHorrocks »

I need two of everything. But aside from that...

Couldn't I just spot-weld the rails if I had to?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Yes,several have done it,there are instructions here somewhere ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I believe that on the rails spot weld look for oakrodent's brp build.
Arron you should not need a brp front barrel shroud, you do need the Front Receiver Bushing.
Bolt If you have tools and can do the welding then just follow the topics here and redo your own bolt. If not then get the bolt semi auto kit from brp, it's a nice kit. If not that then there are several folks on this website that will redo your bolt for you.
Rails The rails are the same semi or fa.
Ratchet Plate??? normally comes with a brp rear receiver kit and also the rivets. However the rivets are just as easy to set as the ones that you did on your 1919a4.
Semi Recuperator??? Well it's the same one just need to cut out part of it to fit around the full auto bolt blocker.
Trigger set up well the ar-15 parts fcg set ups are for sale. Buy add ar-15 parts and install and your ready. FAl set up see pirate website.

You do not need two of everything, if you really feel that you need that much backup parts then buy another cf kit. You only need a few back up parts just like the 1919a4 stuff.

Ask more and we will try to help you out.

Later 42rocker
jamesob
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by jamesob »

where are you in cali?
AaronHorrocks

Post by AaronHorrocks »

I need two of everything because I'm building two at a time. ...Not because I need "backup parts"

I'm in Livermore, CA. It's a little bit east of the San Francisco Bay Area.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Aaron
Sorry about the back up comment you seem upset over that so sorry about that and any help that I offered.... I will not offer any input or help for you in the future. Yes, I remember your pm's for the 1919a4 website and still thought that I would offer my help on this website, well forget about it. I also note that you are allowed back on the 1919a4 board again after being banned for a period of time.

42rocker
AaronHorrocks

Post by AaronHorrocks »

I'm not upset. Your comment was just weird.
There's no reason to over react like that.
And I didn't break any rules over on the 1919 forums. I've been banned several times for short periods, for bizarre reasons. I don't care what the moderators personal grudge is against me, because it's unreasonable.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I guess the other stuff was just weird too and that was your way of saying thanks.

noting your being banned that you just talked about I will leave it at that.

Good Bye
42rocker
AaronHorrocks

Post by AaronHorrocks »

The majority of stickies, photos, and guides on this website aren't there. They're missing files or they are dead links.
I've began to PM the people that posted that necessary info, asking to get it fixed and posted back up.
jcmg42
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by jcmg42 »

Hey, looks like I'm about 3 steps ahead of you.

Haven't found anything on overall lengths, which I'm not completely sure is needed.

Front metal should be good, we just need the bushing. The brp should work, but there's some issue with getting it in there. Either the sheet metal needs to be opened, or the rear of the bushing needs to be reduced to fit in from the front. Then just tig it in.

The rear metal kit from brp has all the rivets and parts needed, including a FA bolt blocker. I picked mine up from RTG just last month. It is sweet looking.

RTG said they have semi bolts on order. Hopefully that means more parts will be available soon.

I haven't picked a path for the trigger yet either, but with the lack of parts at brp, that will likely be built too. RTG does have the complete trigger pack, but I can't see paying for that,... not that it's not worth it.

Last week I picked up some drops to practice on before I fire up on the rear.

I think shotgun news had a build of a RPD where it was mentioned that belt users in California need to somehow limit the belt to 10 rounds. It sounded like quite a bit of work. Glad I'm in america....
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Check with the Cali regulations,I know for a while guys were using spade type grips,like Chris has for sale here.Something about the regular type grip they didn't like.Remember that when you install the front bushing,it must be 'timed' correctly or it won't work. Yes,we lost a bunch of pics and links a few years ago when a server messed up,42Rock and I are slowly trying to get copies and put them where they belong. ---bil
jcmg42
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by jcmg42 »

I would contact centerfire before ordering
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53-1.aspx
as I don't even see a bolt or flashhider. Note it says does not include bipod ($30 alone) and the barrel is drilled.

http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53.aspx
says includes all parts except receiver (though it too doesn't show the bolt or flashhider). I do know this kit arrived with both about a year ago.

The rear sheetmetal kit (receiver) contains the 'ratchet plate', and everything else missing with the receiver (rivets, rails, buffer tabs...) and includes a FA bolt blocker.

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

jcmg42
What you see in the top pic is also what I just received a few weeks ago from centerfire. I ordered several extra bi-pods and I ordered the kit with drilled barrel and missing bi-pod. Did receive the bolt and flash hider everything that you should receive in a normal parts kit. Bi-pod and non-drilled barrel in other kit.
The brp rear receiver kit (which you can also buy from rtg) is the one that you have pictured. This is another way to finish and make a mg42/m53 semi auto. Look under the stickies area for several builds using the brp rear receiver halfs.

Later 42rocker
jcmg42
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by jcmg42 »

Thanks rocker, I posted that because that's what I picked up. The rtg rear kit and centerfire parts kit with usable barrel.

I was looking to put together a post with a link to the useful builds for a centerfire/rtg build. Aside from the missing photo issue, in many cases there is a comment made which clearly relies on some measurement or alignment and it's not clear where those came from or what to look for with the alignment. I'll try to find some examples.