Fun finishing up the built

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Fun finishing up the built

Post by 42rocker »

Having fun with little things here and there but moving on. Found some rails rivets so getting ready to do that soon. But was reading someones old post about ejector working or not. Jbaum was working with him about how far the bolt needs to come back etc. One on the things was to using enough force bringing back the bolt to make sure that everything works. So I double checked that tonight,,,, funny did not go back far enough to eject.... Tried several times using enough force... Nice to have what you are working on in a Lafette tripod.... Ok, what is wrong, moved the buck stock with it's little bit of play and did that while holding bolt back with pressure and next thing I know the bolt moves father back,,, enough for the ejection cycle... Ra Ra ... Ok, whats wrong,,, I'll try something different.. Took out the square ended German buffer and stock and put a rounded end yugo buffer and stock.... Worked every time.... The rounded tip on the end of the buffer was just enough to guild the spring and bolt carrier in correctly.... Another problem some what down, I'll work on redoing correctly later.... But on to trying to find new problems to solve or maybe just maybe it will be ready in a few weeks.....

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: Fun finishing up the built

Post by Bil »

Did you drill out the screw that holds the buffer head on? Some of the semi designs require that so the firing pin clears. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Bil
Did not know about that one. I'm using a big mix of stuff on this project. Firing pin from brp, bolt redone by Thompson machine, weld up by PS, grip stick not sure where from, guts from everywhere, German , yugo.... It's going to work..... The problem with going back far enough has been fixed unless I have a new issue with the firing pin that is. I don't think that is an issue but I'll double check after I finish making the dimples in the screws for the jacks that I'm going to use with the rivet setting. Hope to set rivets tonight (Wed) or Thursday. Friday review everything then on Saturday a friend is going to bring his m53 up and we will reset the rail rivets on his m53. Then double check everything then try to get to the range asap. I'll take pics there and give a range report.

Later 42rocker
paintmanmatt
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by paintmanmatt »

Sounds like you're coming right along with your build. I'm looking forward to checking it out when it's done............let me know when you get close & I'll see what I can do about a "private" range.

Matt
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Need to set the right side rivets (5 of them) later tonight (Friday) then review everything and ?? HOPEFULLY ?? everything will be ready to go....... THANKS to everyone for those great posts about builds and such. It was nice that when (many times) I had a question the answer was there.

Later 42rocker
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

[(O)]
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

DA and others
Pics will be taken at the test firing. Up to this point folks like you have lead the way with great pics. My showing pics would only be a poor copy of your hard work and others pics done before that. As I was setting the rivets I was thinking about a post where you were talking about setting rivets. Of course I was also looking at the build topic and pics that Pirate had done. So double that???
Well you have promised pics of it after the test firing....
Who knows I might drive up from Fla to that Red Wing Minnesota shoot of yours again and show it to you in person. Or you can come down and visit for one of our Fla Full Auto shoots. I sometimes go but do a poor showing in semi auto.

Later 42rocker
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Dood, I hope you do show up for next years shoot. That would be great. Let me know how long you are staying in MN up here. You can join me and Becki at our place for grilled cow flesh and a swim in our pool.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Thanks for the invite. It might happen again some day. Going to the shoot that is. Meeting Becki sounds like a pleasure. Always enjoy visiting that area after living in White Bear for a few years. Still have a lot of relatives in the twin cities area.
One more thing to do to the build then recheck everything then double check everything again. Then in 2 weeks I hope to the range to shoot this work of love.

Later 42rocker
paintmanmatt
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by paintmanmatt »

We're on for this Sunday! If I duct-tape a couple of Mausers to my 1919, can I pretend it's an MG42? :mrgreen:
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

You can.....
We might not be fooled by that. Need a parts kit for the real thing???? I have a couple....

Paintmanmatt
See you Sunday.

I'll bring ammo and a toy or two and you bring the barrels and barrel plunger.

Later 42rocker
paintmanmatt
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by paintmanmatt »

Will do, I think I'll bolt on the crank........I want to test some new belts w/blanks before New Year's. :D
I'll give you a call Saturday afternoon to settle details.
Looking forward to seeing you, Sunday.

I also found a bci cam lock, I'll bring it & let you take a look.

Matt
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Matt
Sounds great.

Later 42rocker