welding backer

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Jason

welding backer

Post by Jason »

I was told that brass it the thing to use a welding backer. does anyone know if copper would also work as I have access to some fairly thick pieces and will try to beg them off the guy that has them so I can practice welding this weekend :?:
Abwehr

Backer

Post by Abwehr »

Jason,

I have alwaqys been told that Copper was the best backer material for welding.
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Copper or aluminum is what you should use, do not use brass it will contaminate your weld.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

but I thought the bren welding jigs are made from brass?
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

TOM R wrote:but I thought the bren welding jigs are made from brass?
No they are aluminum, and some guys have made them from copper.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

okey dokey
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Karbinator

How's that backer work?

Post by Karbinator »

Ok...I'm extrememly interested in how your backer works. Does it bolt to the holes in the reciever to keep it still? Or is the whole thing clamped to a jig of some sorts? Man I wish there was a tutorial picture of the various steps you guys a taking on this task.

Skip in Va
Jason

Post by Jason »

I'll try to explain my understaning of it. maybe others will chime in with more info.
When the recievers are cut up, they use a torch that blows away a little material that needs to be replaced when you weld it back together. you need to place the backing metal inside the reciever under the area to be welded and shim it so it is tight against the area you are working on. that way when you weld there is much less material you will have to grind down inside because the backer held the welding flush on the inside. If you would use steel it would just weld it to the reciever, but the welding will not stick to copper. I did a trial run and it work ok but the backer I used needs to be much thicker than the scrap I used.
another guy told me that thicker material will also act as a heat sink to help prevent warping.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

sounds rite to me jason

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Karbinator

I see

Post by Karbinator »

Roger that Jason!

Description well worded, and understood.

Thanks....

Skip in Va
Jason

;

Post by Jason »

this afternoon I was at an abandoned farmplace that I trap and came accross some heavy pieces of cast-iron. I tried using it as a backer with some scrap, and got the best results so far.

has anyone else used cast? the price is right when you find it laying around.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

that is a great/cheap (especialy since I have some)idea anyone see a prob with using cast as a backer :?:

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Guys I will post some pictures of the "jig", now keep in mind that this is only for the I.O. rec. that are chopped in the rails. The 3 cuts don’t need this.

I would be cautious when using the cast backer as it may weld itself fast if you are tig welding these like they should be. That’s why aluminum or copper is used, but either way makes sure that you heat the area that you are welding first with a propane or map torch. Or after you have made all your tacks they will get small cracks cause the backer will act as a heat sink and draw the heat.