More testing

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

All that seems to be available at the moment is romanian and some yugo. I will be trying
some yugo sunday. I have some of 2 different types coming. I thought I saw some wolf
a while back but can't seem to find it now. It would be nice to find some that is non
corrosive.
Bullwinkle
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Bullwinkle »

I run the Romanian through my 1919 8mm conversion and I get about 5-10 misfires per 200-300rds..they will fire on the second strike 100% of the time but there seems to be some VERY hard primers /low anvil cases mixed throughout the romanian 8mm stuff. My bolt guns in 8mm don't seem to have a problem with ammo but semi does...

My 1919 runs .308 100% and Yugo 8mm 100%....FYI
Mess with the Bull and you'll get the HORNS!
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

Bullwinkle wrote:I run the Romanian through my 1919 8mm conversion and I get about 5-10 misfires per 200-300rds..they will fire on the second strike 100% of the time but there seems to be some VERY hard primers /low anvil cases mixed throughout the romanian 8mm stuff. My bolt guns in 8mm don't seem to have a problem with ammo but semi does...

My 1919 runs .308 100% and Yugo 8mm 100%....FYI
Very interesting, I had several rounds not fire out of about 100 or so, the primers had a
nice deep dimple in them. It seemed like a high failure rate to me. All the .308 fired so
maybe it is the ammo. I will be trying some yugo tomorrow in 8mm, ,and have some more
coming, hopefully it is only tha ammo. thanks for the input.
panaceabeachbum
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by panaceabeachbum »

These things, properly built , run like a dream on .308, The change in caliber/OAL as it applies to this gun usualy only effects feeding issues.
Brian at BRP has stated that the caliber swap on his guns has caused problems with primer hits, cratering and erratic ignition. Blown/cratered primers are a result of an improperly supported primer cup during the highest pressure phase of firing. This problem has nothing to do with the bore diameter or overall cartridge length.One main thing causes blown primers and thats lack of support from the firing pin when chamber pressure is highest, assuming fp protrusion has been properly limited and ammo is good.The factors that can cause this lack of support are simple, Improperly fitted firing pin(to much clearence around hole),Excess pressure(bad ammo), and excess headspace. The simple problem here is some of the dual caliber guns are being sent out the door with excess headspace. Just because the bbl extension/headspace is presett on the mg series bbl (like ar) does not meen you will be able to pull a 1972 pakistany bolt and a 1943 8mm bbl and the head space will be spot on. Idealy it will but unless you purchase a go/nogo gauge set you have no way of knowing for sure, well until you start blowing primers or worse.

I like Brian and have purchased many great products from him over the years but last time I discussed this issue with him, nogo gauge might as well have been latin. Understand that 10's of thousands of lbs of chamber pressure exist and just assuming the headspace is gonna be spot on and you can just swap bolts and bbls of different vintage, caliber, and country of origin is just asking to get a chunk of brass or worse imbedded in your body. How someone can send a $5k gun out the door and not know to the ten thou how much excess headspace exist(or doesnt) is just beyond me. We do not have the stored forward kinetic energy of an open bolt mg, compounding the excess headspace issue further . excess headspace of just a few thou usualy wont cause a case rupture but primers will blow and you can usualy see little speckled scratches were the case has slipped ever so slightly while under pressure. If your having problems with blown primers and have eliminated all other fctors, good ammo, firing pins not sticking out to far etc, you might try lightly oiling the ammo just before firing so the case can easily shift rearward under pressure, if excess headspace is the issue, even slightly this will be telling. Just my .02 on the subject and surely not the problem in every case, just simply an alternative view point on the subject. Richard
Abwehr

Chamber Problems

Post by Abwehr »

panaceabeachbum,

You certainly made some good points about switching calibers! Brian and I have discussed this a couple of times too. My gun, S/N 36 is an early one and I did have a problem in the beginning, but it was solved by Brian and has run great since. I did try the "easy" change to 7.62mm and it worked fine. I did not have any indications of excess headspace firing either 8mm or 7.62mm. I have only fired one 50 rd belt of 7.62 so far, but they worked without a hitch.

One statment you made concering oiling the rounds before loading is something the German Soldat did to help the rounds leave the belt and extract easier from the chamber. I actually clean and lubricate my belts after firing, and put them in a Ziplock bag for storage until the next loading. When I load a belt, I LIGHTLY wipe the case BODY (not the primer) with an oily cloth. This does seem to help the gun operate easier.