Looking for help with the global machining receiver sections

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
jeffdai1992
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Looking for help with the global machining receiver sections

Post by jeffdai1992 »

Hi everyone, I am a new member to this forum. I have read through a lot of the posts here about building the semi-auto MG42/M53, but I still didn't find the info to help with my specific situation.

I have a M53 kit with everything and a set of "repair sections" from global machining (I know many people here like global machining). The problem is the "repair sections" have about 1/2 inch excessive length at the very rear and this made it impossible for me to use the rear edge as the zero reference for marking the place for drilling or milling. So, I am wondering if someone can share his expertise on those "long version" receiver stamping from global machining: I want to know exactly how long the excessive length should I trim off at the rear, so I can use the rear as a reference for my build.Should I just trim off 1/2 inch?

I believe I saw a member of this forum posting a picture about the regular length and long length version of those receiver sections from global machining.

You help is greatly appreciated!

Jeff
jeffdai1992
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Re: Looking for help with the global machining receiver sections

Post by jeffdai1992 »

I just got the number from someone who has done it before, the excessive length at the rear of a global machining repair section is 0.619 inch. This should be measured from the center channel where 2 halves joins (since the rear may not be perfectly square).

With this number I can now mark everything using the very rear as a reference.
Opie7afe
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Re: Looking for help with the global machining receiver sections

Post by Opie7afe »

That's the problem I had, but since I was splicing in a m53 rear section I lined up the long cut shroud with the shells to where the profiles matched then measured from rear of cam window to rear of receiver which was 382mm if I remember correctly. From there I lined up the rear section untill the measurements were right..as always cut oversize and file/mill to the correct dimensions. I figured doing all the cuts would be a big pain compared to splicing but even that was a pain, had to cut out the charging handle slot and move it up to match the shells so I won't blow through receiver when I cut the slot..