Another new build pitfall....

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Another new build pitfall....

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Bringing only 300 rounds to the range with you!

Thankfully I had a buddy close by with a loader and 150 more rounds. Thats right. WE our most sucessful range session - a 450 round rapid fire test. I had a few light strikes but they only happened when the barrel door popped open - I replaced the replacement spring with a Browning high power hammer spring with 2 coils cut out - now its a bitch to open but it doesnt pop open any more. I was out of Pirates tactical tape so I used a bore snake until my buddy got there - LOL.

The other thing I found helpful was I lengthened my 3/16 diameter FP (forward end - so it couldnt slip out of the wedge) and shortened the factory FP - both by 3/16 of an inch - no slam fires, no light strikes (except the 4 I had when the barrel door popped open).

I used a firing pin spring (factory) for a glock model 19 that I had in my spring box - I removed 3 coils to get the length right. I have found that the spring is critical, for me - It may be that my FP weighs more so it has more inertia since I used 3/8 steel rod for my spacers as opposed to washers. If the spring was too light I would occasionally get a slam fire, if too heavy, the ignition was erratic. The m-19 spring is perfect.

For those playing with this design, if your FP slips out of the wedge and jams against the rear of the wedge, it will jam the the bolt locked to the barrel. Until you beat on the bolt enough to bend your FP enough to let the wedge retract youre stuck. Then your FP is toast. Cutting off a bit of the rear of the factory FP helps give you more 'room' if you FP is a bit too long and your getting slam fires. It also allows you to use a longer FP (drill rod) which keeps your FP IN the wedge.

Well on to 8mm!

By the way the fal FCG has such a nice light trigger that rapid fire SA just feels so much better than slow fire!
Smooth is Fast
88comm
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by 88comm »

Does the FAL fire control group have anything that resembles a disconnector? I don't recall that it does. IF it doesn't then why have a disconnector in the AR-15 fcg?

Thanks, Chris :)
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

the sear acts as a disconnector.
Smooth is Fast
M1 Tanker
Oberst
Oberst

Post by M1 Tanker »

Are you using a selector? If not, in the absence of the selector, what prevents the hammer from following thru and doubling? In a FAL with a selector that will rotate to the F/A, the hammer follows thru. Im all for the FAL FCG, but just curious about it...since it doesn't have a disconnector.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

I have a rod (3/16) that I welded in to limit the triggers travel up wards at the rear - if you dont - youre right, the hammer WILL FOLLOW! - and you'll have an out of battery explosion which is BAD. THe same thing will happen if you use a hammer with the rear ground off - ask me how I know - DOOOH!
Smooth is Fast