Sucess!!!!!

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Sucess!!!!!

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Pirate - you da man!

When I went thru my FCG, I noticed I was using a trigger that I had previously ground down the rear of from the first grip stick. Too many parts and crap on the bench led me putting it in the new one I guess. In any case, It had enough vertical play the allow the hammer to miss the sear and I had no disconnect function. Ie., the hammer was following the bolt.

I swapped out the triggers last night, got up early and at sunrise ran thru 80+ rounds.

The gun was kicking the hell out of me so I decided to try my new recoil spring, but I was having binding issues and I had to get to work. The one that came with my kit was just plain tired out but it works. I have a few ideas for th new spring....Now its just a matter of some clean-up and making a new bolt with a few mods.

I had no probs with slam fires using both a one piece, spring loaded FP and a new 2 piece (made it at class after I got tired of welding saddles on 4 inch pipe) pin. Both worked great.

I just need to iron out the damn wiggly recoil spring under control and test in 8mm. 308 works great. I was even pretty happy that I was only 10 inches right at 100 yards. Once I centered the front sight, I was right on!
Smooth is Fast
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Ha! I thought you were going to give it a break!!!

Congratulations...I'm probably only eight months behind you. :(
FNG
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Now I need to try the 8mm when I have time to clean it after and then generally clean up some rough grinding and general ugliness. Then redo the bolt extension and Ill post pics so other foolish mortals came get into the sickness.

I woke up at midnight and spent 2 hours taking everything apart and checking everything over - bed at 3 am up at 6 am and to the range by 7am - a glorous morning.

I just cant stand to lose/get beat so I had to mess with it some more. Now I can pay attention to the damn master bathroom and get that bastard finished with out day dreaming about the 42 and perhaps clean the 1/4 inch of metal dust out of my shop. then I think its back to working on the 9mm suomi drum conversion for my mac and 9mm ar/m-16. Should be easy after the MG build!
Smooth is Fast
Abwehr

Success

Post by Abwehr »

A HEARTY congratulations on success. How sweet the taste is after all the work you have put into this venture! You guys building your own guns have my total admiration!
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

Congratulations GSD, sounds like you are getting close. Personally I would make installing the new recoin spring a
priority. when I got my new spring and compared it to the old one I was shocked that the
old one was so bad. the increased spring tension will help feed 8mm and also reduce the
beating the gun takes. next you need to runn about 400 rds of rapid fire through it to see
what falls off.