Not ejecting when hand cycling?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
ScottD
Major
Major

Not ejecting when hand cycling?

Post by ScottD »

Well smack my butt and call me Sally! Ive got her put together enough to where I can hand cycle the action. When I let the bolt fly forward, she will strip a round and throw it in the chamber. However, when I pull it open 2 things happen...

1)Sometimes the round stays in the chamber. I just charge it again harder and it seems to extract it

2) The round NEVER drops off the bolt face. Any suggestions as to what I need to tweak? This is the biggest issue as far as Im concerned.
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
tomcatshaas
General
General

Re: Not ejecting when hand cycling?

Post by tomcatshaas »

what ejector spoon are you using? You need the WWII style. I remember you asking how many coils to have for your main spring earlier. It's hard to say, but start with 19, then cut 1/2 a coil off until you get a good eject. I think mine is around 18 to 18 1/2 coils. Some have 17 1/2 coils. It just depends on you weapon. As far as your extraction. The extractor "could" be worn, or you are just not letting the bolt fly hard enough. I wouldn't do anything with the extractor just yet until you get a good ejection.

TC

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6097
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

What does the WWII spoon look like? Mine has the little ears that wrap around.
xano
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by xano »

It is also possible that the bolt is not contacting the buffer when being pulled back by the charging handle. I would check this by removing the spring and pulling the bolt back just as you would normally and see if the bolt stops in the same spot at or before the tab on your ratchet plate. If it ejects most likely the spring is binding the bolt before the buffer is contacted. Then you can cut the spring 1/2 coil at a time. my spring is 16 1/2 coils long which is the shortest I have seen as of yet. I would also check the ejector. I have 2 one with beveled a end and one with a rounded end. The ejector with a beveled end works great and the one with rounded end fails to eject sporatically.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

ScottD wrote:What does the WWII spoon look like? Mine has the little ears that wrap around.
that sounds like the correct one. How many coils?

TC
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

The extraction issue was just me not remembering how to manhandle a roller locked weapon. I was opening the cam, hesitating, and then charging.

Im gonna check the spring later. Im pretty sure thats what it is.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Cut the spring down to about 19 coils. But the spring is binding up something firece and is a PITA to charge. NOw when it strips a round off the belt, it doesnt seem to have sufficient force to fully chamber the round. I guess Ill keep tweaking it. Maybe needs some axle grease :)
xano
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by xano »

Try again without the spring. After unlocking the bolt from the barrel the only resistance should be the bolt pushing the hammer down. I polished the bottom of my bolt and made it as flat as possible to reduce resistance. Be sure the hammer is not binding on the disconnector and the bolt extension clears the buffer. Also be sure the top cover is free of resistance. As you pull the charging handle back it should stop when the rear of the bolt strikes the buffer. If everything is right the charging handle lock will also engage with the handle pulled back.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

charging handle lock? I gotta look into that. I dont think mine even engages. I had a hell of a time rebuilding the ratchet plate so maybe I should pay more attention to that. I dont have the trigger group even installed yet. Im just gonna keep bending things and grinding till it all works....