ratchet plate differences

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
a-kmanator

ratchet plate differences

Post by a-kmanator »

what ratchet plate is correct for a yugo m53 build,the old style or new style with dogleg?what is the advantage of the tab on new style?
http://www.robertrtg.com/mgratchetplates.html
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

you need the dogleg because the cocking handle levers against it.

if you have a full receiver then the old dogleg can probably be reused , if you have just the front shroud and replacement parts you'll need the dogleg version.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

The old style without the supporting dogleg was designed for use with the slab cocking handle. The lever cocking handle, which replaced the difficult to operate slab handle, needs the dogleg as an abutment for the bottom tail of the lever.

Very few people would have use for the old style plate, as the slab handles were very difficult to operate, sometimes requiring both hands (or a stiff kick with a boot) to pull the handle back. That's why they were replaced with the lever handle, which gives a much needed mechanical advantage when unlocking the bolt from the barrel.

Unless you wanted to make a technically correct but impractical very early style MG42, the dogleg version is the one you want.

I never did figure out why it's called a ratchet plate. It doesn't ratchet anything, and the armorer's manual refers to it as a reinforcement plate.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
a-kmanator

Post by a-kmanator »

thanks for the info guys,i need to order one and wanted to get the right one.....kman
tony
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by tony »

Why does the new style have the reinforcing bumps cut in half, but all the pics I see of complete MG53's have full reinforcing bumps? Or am I missing something?

Thanks all

Tony