Lube for MG42's

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
sscav

Lube for MG42's

Post by sscav »

What type lube would be best for keeping everything running, and what are the major lube points on the gun? And what about lubing belts? Other than a light lube where the cartridges go, is it necessary to lube the whole thing or is that just overkill?

Also, how does one get a booster for .308 for use in a -42 flash hider? Are they purpose made or does an 8mm one need to be welded and re-drilled?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

I use a light grease on the rails as lube for the bolt. A few drops of oil on the hinge points and sliding areas of the feed tray is also a good idea.

Lubing the inside of the belt links isn't really needed unless they're really tight. Lubing the whole belt just makes a mess. If you're shooting .308 out of 8mm belts, they'll be tight, but may work OK anyway. The limit is when the bolt slows down too much from the energy lost stripping the cartridge. That's the source of other problems, like the bolt not having energy enough to lock to the barrel extension, or failure to completely chamber the round (if there's a little dirt or other resistance). With the springs being cut down in a semi to start with, it doesn't seem to take too much more resistance to screw up the process.

Booster nozzles (not the whole booster) need to be sized for the cartridge you're using. Just buy a nozzle with the right size. Tell Dan at Angola Armory what you want to shoot. The sizes have been listed on this board many times in other messages.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Ive been having good luck with miltec and some synthetic white grease (bike stuff)
Smooth is Fast
panaceabeachbum
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by panaceabeachbum »

gonslingerdoc dont shoot me but I thought you were gonna say K-Y. LOL
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

ohh that is wrong !
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

K-Y is so old school!

If I have to go water based, then ASTROGLIDE is lube of choice!

:mrgreen:
Smooth is Fast
panaceabeachbum
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by panaceabeachbum »

:lol: ROFLA!
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

Glad you guys know all about that stuff.... last time I needed a little extra lube, vaseline was still the rage.... You guys may want to try warming her up before you run the race. Ahem...... :oops:
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Brass Scrounger

Post by Brass Scrounger »

Lubriplate for the bolt and light #10 oil for everything else.

Grape jelly adds some extra flavor to that OTHER experience. ;) :nana:
bart
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by bart »

on my mg and my 1919 i use 10-30 motor oil . i apply it with an an eye drop applicator and relabeled the bottle oil so no one lubes their eyes w it .i run the insides of both guns nearly wet with oil and this is a key to their reliable function.clps like break free work good too but they dont seem to last as long as 10-30. (no pun intended) :o
Abwehr

Lubeing

Post by Abwehr »

I pretty much follow what John Baum stated with the grease on the rails and bolt, and oil on the hinged parts. Usually, I use Castrol wheel bearing grease, and if it is cold, I thin it down a little.

I do lubricate my belts before loading, but very lightly inside the loop. I use motor oil on a small cloth and LIGHTLY wipe the inside of the loop. I use a pistol cleaning rod with the cloth attached and just make one pass thru. As John stated, too much and it is a mess! You only need a LITTLE oil and the rounds strip great.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

FYI
it helps to polish the rails before you install them too. :idea:
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Abwehr

Post by Abwehr »

Good point "drooling", polishing any rail is good. I polish the upper and lower rails on an AK receiver when I build one and the Carrier slides like "greased lightning". I back the rail polishing!
c4550

Post by c4550 »

gunslingerdoc wrote:Ive been having good luck with miltec and some synthetic white grease (bike stuff)
Haven't used the white lithuim grease on any guns. But that Miltec oil is some good stuff. It seems to shed dirt/carbon better than regular oils. Or rather, they don't stick as well to the Miltec. Note: My experience is not with the 42, but on other semi firearms.