coating

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
jasond

coating

Post by jasond »

what kind of coating is everyone using to finish there projects
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

flat/satin black spray paint for now while I tweek :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
M1 Tanker
Oberst
Oberst

Post by M1 Tanker »

I've thought about parking and painting, but have decided on black oxide.

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

when i am all done we will blue park or black magneese :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

KG gun coat, roughly a 30:70 mix of gunblue:satin black
Smooth is Fast
Farmer Mike

Post by Farmer Mike »

I'm probably going to park it With Manganese Phosphate. My FALS came out almost black. I got the solution from Allegheny Arsenal.
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

Blue for me.
jasond

coating

Post by jasond »

ya i did the flat back spray paint but im lookin for a poor man finish since i cant do parkerizing cuz i dont have and idea of where to get the stuff and i dont have an oven to do the blueing
DaFixer

Re: coating

Post by DaFixer »

jasond wrote:ya i did the flat back spray paint but im lookin for a poor man finish since i cant do parkerizing cuz i dont have and idea of where to get the stuff and i dont have an oven to do the blueing
I've been looking for a way to introduce myself and this looks like a perfect opportunity! I built by own stainless steel park tank and mixed my own solution. You need a stainless steel tank, a way to heat the mix to boiling (I made a propane burner and used a BBQ regulator).
Bead blast and degrease your parts...
Prep all your parts in a Muriatic Acid solution. I used a cup of acid in a 5 gal plastic pail. I bought a gallon at Lowe's, or you can find it in pool supply places. WARNING: Muriatic Acid is HOT STUFF and will BURN YOUR LUNGS if you get a wiff of it so BE CAREFULL!!!
The solution is "1/2 cup Jaspers Metal prep ( 85%Phosphoric Acid) per gallon of water" in the heated water and "1/4 cup of Manganese Dioxide per gallon of water" in the heated water. Do a search on Ebay for maganese Dioxide and all kinds of sources pop up. "quartzpegmatite" was the guy I used, he gave me a price cut because I ordered a little more than was listed as "buy it now".
Put one steel wool biscuit in heated Manganese Dioxide and Phosphoric Acid solution per gallon. When the biscuits dissolve your ready to park.
When you put the parts in they begin to fizz. When they stop fizzing they are as coated as their gonna get!
I don't think its really an exact science. I played around with different % and different materials. The finish is black on softer metals and dark gray on harder, heat treated metals. I think you could tweak the solution and get a better finish on the hard metals or maybe increase the exposure time...I've only done a dozen or so unfinished tools I had and one AK. It came out real nice, but Im still new at it. I picked up a lot of info off of other boards and kinda mixed and matched.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

if you want that "clear" park look here is a pic of my dummie with a paint I found to match it it is rustoleum, stainless steel metalic, comes in the "proffesional cans"
looks identical to the dangola reciever finish :D
Attachments
P2240021.jpg
P2240021.jpg (427.47 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

well like I said it is on a dummie, got no idea how well rustoleum will hold up on a shooter

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
robertmcw

Post by robertmcw »

I was thinking Duracoat. Any Feedback? Ive tried the brownells bake on enamel but i just cant get it to stick.
Bunker Dog

Post by Bunker Dog »

Anyone out there ever try powder coating shooter? That stuff is pretty damn tuff. An odee reciever with flat black feed cover and bipod legs would look nice.