Parkerize or Bluing? Opinions wanted.

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
MGAPA

Parkerize or Bluing? Opinions wanted.

Post by MGAPA »

Guys, I can parkerize at the house, however my BRP receiver (from the weaponeer group buy) is going to be setup like an 8mm 42. I have a friend that will blue the entire gun for nothing but I have to ship between our FFL's (from PA to GA) probably amounting to $50-$75. I like the blue better, but can't beat the free price tag on the park job. :D

What do you think? I'm on the fence and just need a push so to speak. Thanks!
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

personaly blue looks awsome on a 42 and my ww2 german parts are blued for now I am in black paint till we get enough guys together do do a bluing party :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

I plan on parkerizing mine. first will be a dip in the preblack solution to get all the parts a uniform color then into the manganeze park solution.
xanadu_trader
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by xanadu_trader »

Also think park is the way to go. Just use the black oxide dip and the final product comes out pretty nice.
m1-dan
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by m1-dan »

yeah i like a dark maganeses solution as i made my own recipe which i posted somewhere here lol. Tom when i get my 42 kit we can do a build/blue party at your place NJ isnt that far from me only like 3-4 hour drive lol!
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

m1-dan wrote:yeah i like a dark maganeses solution as i made my own recipe which i posted somewhere here lol. Tom when i get my 42 kit we can do a build/blue party at your place NJ isnt that far from me only like 3-4 hour drive lol!
we try to build at least once a month, problem is when you are weldin and grindin 3+ recievers at once not alot gets donemine is done I am waitin to do rails in 3+ guns for other guys :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
kmw

Post by kmw »

Every gun I own is in the original finish, from my military issue M1 Carbine and '03-A3, to my 1980s CZ-75s to my Uzis. I've always been a fan of simple, no-nonsense finishes....

But, I've decided that my SA42 will feature a "painted" finish (leaning towards Duracoat). I am not going for anything too wild, like camo patterns, but I plan on heading off in the "desert" direction with colors. One color for the receiver, with some of the ancillaries in other color(s). We shall see. My wife helped me pick out the colors. Gotta love a woman like that! 8)
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

[(O)]

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Cruiser133

Post by Cruiser133 »

Check out pics of mine, I duracoated the receiver black, parked the other parts. I plan on doing my second either blue or duracoat it HK green to match my mount.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Im a fan of the spray and bakes - Kg or dura coat. Ive parked stuff in the past and its a pain. Granted baking big stuff can get you in trouble with the wife but...

I like them because theyre durable and provide way more protection from corrosion. Cleaning an belt fed anything is PAIN, I like the shoot and ignore method of maintenance. Even when I shoot corrosive 8mm, all I have to worry about is the boster guts and the barrel. I clean the barrel and throw the booster parts in a can of solvent and Im done.

I also use a product called k-phos over the sandblasted parts before I spray them since its similar to parking and helps with adhesion. I also like the fact that its a spray, hang for 15 minutes and youre done, no heating, boiling, mixing application. Its real nice to prevent flash rusting after you sand blast something but dont have time to paint it and it gives a matt grey finish (looks great on AK bolts/carriers).

Just one more thing to think about - I have some pics posted of my 42 somewhere. I mixed a 'blued gun' color and some satin black and it matchs my NOS WWII German top cover perfect.
Smooth is Fast
oushot12

Post by oushot12 »

Iam going to park mine ;)
MGAPA

Post by MGAPA »

I think after further review and thanks to some other members pictures, I'm going to try the black oxide.
fxo

Post by fxo »

If your friend is an FFL you should be able to ship directly to him for maintenance issues. If he doesn't you'll have to ship it to the dealer in his state, have him do the 4473, then he blues it and sends it to an FFL in your state and you do another 4473. Is that what you are saying?

If you are already set up to do parkerizing, you can try the http://www.unibath.com bluing solution, one cook tank and rinse.

fxo
helix60
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by helix60 »

Interesting discussion. Bluing would look greak but Parking is available to me in the garage.

Regards,
Heli
MGAPA

Post by MGAPA »

fxo wrote:If your friend is an FFL you should be able to ship directly to him for maintenance issues. If he doesn't you'll have to ship it to the dealer in his state, have him do the 4473, then he blues it and sends it to an FFL in your state and you do another 4473. Is that what you are saying?

If you are already set up to do parkerizing, you can try the http://www.unibath.com bluing solution, one cook tank and rinse.

fxo
I certainly considered that, fxo. Unfortunately, I would have to transfer to my FFL, he would ship to GA FFL, then transfer to my friend. Then reverse the process to get it back. That raises the issue of transferring a "homebuild" too. Am I allowed to do that? It would transfer on a 4473 just like I sold it right?

As gorgeous as the bluing looks, I think I will do the black oxide.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

if you are sendin it out for "repair " why are you gonna do all that transferrin with ffl? i have sent guns to be repaired and never did this :?:

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
fxo

Post by fxo »

Sounds like his friend who can do the bluing does not have an FFL.

If you go through a flaky or unknowlegable FFL, they may not understand the home built semi is a "SA42" not an MG42. All kinds of things can happen.
fxo
MGAPA

Post by MGAPA »

Guys, no my friend does not have an active FFL any longer. It was my understanding a gun shipping across state lines had to go through an FFL. :?:
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

heres the skinny.

if your shipping your gun across state lines it must be delivered to either an FFL or it can be shipped to yourself - " in care of ..... " whoever your going to be visiting, like a hunting guide or family member. If you sending your gun for repairs or service you do not need them shipped back to an FFL they can be returned shipped directly to you.

now understand this clearly !
the gun is being sent from you to YOU but is bring signed for by someone else. they can not open it as it is your mail. Also handguns are required to be sent overnight air and there is to be ABSOLUTELY NO labeling on the exterior of the package indicating a firearm inside.
also obviously they'd need to be unloaded.

when i travel by air for whatever reason and wish to have a firearm at my destination i would rather ship it , then carry it to a post 9-11 airport , check it , and then have the baggage monkeys open the container to see if its something they want to steal.

used this method twice , once on a hunting trip and to skeet shoot in FLA with family.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
MCP
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by MCP »

MGAPA,
Who sells a good black oxide kit? One that doesn't require a lot of high temps - Brownells? I had some info saved on my old hard drive before it committed suicide and lost alot of good data (read back up/save your data on a CD or something).

I am leaning toward black oxide too. I understand that depending on the media used to sandblast the metal, you can get a nice satin type finish and not a real rough park finish is this correct? As you can tell from my questions, I don't have a sandblasting/parking set in my garage so pardon the "101" questions.

This is a great place for learning that's for sure. :beer: