When to parkerize?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
kmw

When to parkerize?

Post by kmw »

Okay, this is my first "build" project, other than assembling a couple of AR15s, so I'll keep asking basic questions like this. Should the receiver be parked before or after installation of the rails and "trunnion"/camming piece?

What I'm thinking about doing is parking (gotta find a big enough tank!) and then using something like duracoat over the park, perhaps the duracoat "Colt" or "Wolf" grey.

Other finish questions:

Some small parts -- the sites, some pins, the feed tray, look like they are blued. Correct? And does that seem the norm, I've got a Sterling parts kit and it looks to have some small parts blued.

What's the finish on the trunnion/camming piece?

How about the booster assembly? Particularly the moving parts, were those originally parkerized?
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

if you want ww2 the whole gun is bluedpost war the gun is grey park, or you can co with the ar black maganeese finish and leave the blued parts blued, personaly when I get to it i will blue as my gun was blued when i got it, finish with the rails inthink all other parts off, there is a park tutorial here not sure if it addresses this :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
kmw

Post by kmw »

Thanks Tom. I should've mentioned my parts kit is a Yugo M53, so the receiver I'm looking at was parkerized. I'm not going for the "WWII" look like a lot of guys, I want to set mine up as an MG3. The black magnanese sounds interesting though. I'm afraid all of those duracoat colors are calling me!

So you'd park before installing items like the barrel gate? Just refinish that and then don't mess up installing the rivets?
j. bergmann

Post by j. bergmann »

Tom mg42's were also parkerized during ww2. alot of them were also reblued after during rebuilds.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

the 4 yugo kits i got from io appear blued
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
kmw

Post by kmw »

Please excuse my junky digicam pic...

The feed tray, top cover, dust cover, and many small bits appear blued, but the receiver was parked -- the pieces are grey with that nice tight grain texture. The bipod appears parkerized as well.

I don't think this should matter, but this is a .308 kit.
Attachments
Parts_07_18Dec.JPG
Parts_07_18Dec.JPG (62.44 KiB) Viewed 974 times
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

I have all but quit parking stuff - its a PITA. Instead I degrease (and degrease and degrease), sand blast, K-PHOS, the KG coat.

The k-phos gives you a light/medium grey finish and it works like parking. It also provides a good base for your KG. Since other than spraying it over bare metal and weighting about 15 min for it to dry, it requires nothing special and keeps the flash rust demons away. It looks great on bolts just by itself. Try some.

You can mix the 'gun blue' color KG with satin black to get a nice blue black factory color match. I have some pics posted here so just do a search to check them out.
Smooth is Fast